No queen

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Hi all I need advice again. I have a hive that is queenless I found the queen on the floor a few weeks ago, iv checked to see if there is a new queen but no signs. While I'm awaiting the delivery of a new queen how do I stop them producing laying workers.

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Laying worker colonies as such don’t normally develop over night it’s normally a last gasp. It’s unusual for a colony to just dump the queen though. There’s a good chance there’s another/virgin running about. At least try a frame from another hive first. Ian

GuyNir 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-15
Put an open brood & eggs frame from another colony. It’ll suppress any laying workers and also confirm if there’s a Q in the hive or not (Q cells created or not)

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
This may give you a few pointers.

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just a tip. Next time you put a frame of eggs in chose an area with eggs near the centre of the frame and scrape back the cells below the eggs to the foundation. About 3cm wide by 2 cm down. I use a j type hive tool. If the bees want to build queen cells that is where they will do it. They will build two or three nice straight ones that you can use if you want. It works a treat!

hemo 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-10
Did you check for torn down QC's or remnants of fresh looking ones when you found the dead Q ?

elainemary 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Just a tip. Next time you put a frame of eggs in chose an area with eggs near the centre of the frame and scrape back the cells below the eggs to the foundation. About 3cm wide by 2 cm down. I use a j type hive tool. If the bees want to build queen cells that is where they will do it. They will build two or three nice straight ones that you can use if you want. It works a treat!
Hi have heard about this a few times now, seems a v good idea & I’d like to try it. Is it as effective as a Miller frame in a colony set up as a cell raiser? Just thinking if it is, the comb can be more easily repaired by the bees afterwards....?

GuyNir 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
10-15
Hi have heard about this a few times now, seems a v good idea & I’d like to try it. Is it as effective as a Miller frame in a colony set up as a cell raiser? Just thinking if it is, the comb can be more easily repaired by the bees afterwards....?
Isn’t this being referred to as ‘notching’? As in OTS (on the spot) queen rearing?

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have no idea where it came from. I was given the tip many years ago and it always seems to work. It certainly isn't my invention!

jeff33 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
14 now...and still counting
I have no idea where it came from. I was given the tip many years ago and it always seems to work. It certainly isn't my invention!
Good tip Enrico, can you cut them out easily that way? I have to add a frame in a queenless hive today so will give it a go. If they can be cut out I can make a couple of apidea with the extra cells.

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Good tip Enrico, can you cut them out easily that way? I have to add a frame in a queenless hive today so will give it a go. If they can be cut out I can make a couple of apidea with the extra cells.
Really easily yes

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I checked yesterday and they had built and capped of six nice big queen celks iv knocked them back to just two at the bottom of the frame.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
No for some reason iv been unable to log into the site until yesterday so did not see the replies from other people. Will give it a go next time as I did have a few in the middle that didn't look the best. Luckily some good eggs at the bottom. Just need her to hatch and get mates fingers crossed

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
No for some reason iv been unable to log into the site until yesterday so did not see the replies from other people. Will give it a go next time as I did have a few in the middle that didn't look the best. Luckily some good eggs at the bottom. Just need her to hatch and get mates fingers crossed
No problem, it does work well!

Latest posts