No queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one bee one

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just checked one of my hives today found plenty of bees but no brood or stores. Have taken a frame of brood and lave from another hive hoping they will start off a new queen. Does anyone have any advice they can offer . Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked one of my hives today found plenty of bees but no brood or stores. Have taken a frame of brood and lave from another hive hoping they will start off a new queen. Does anyone have any advice they can offer . Thanks

Hopefully, you have a virgin in there. Try a test frame and feed them 1:1.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I could not find the queen, any eggs or brood. I took a frame from another hive and after a week I found 4 emergency cells. I then left them closed for 3 weeks. I opened them up after 3 weeks and found eggs. I found and marked the queen then left them to it. I have noticed that my hives are very short on drones, which I think is a bit early for them to have been kicked out but maybe the case due to the hot weather. Check if you see any drones in any of your hives and if not might be worth trying to see if any suppliers have mates queens for sale.

Your colony might be brood less because they have no food
The test frame will tell provided there were eggs and young larvae there.
Perhaps put a pollen patty on the top frames? Whatever you do they obviously need feeding.

If they were calm then I bet there is a queen there
What’s the history of the colony?
More information would be helpful

Queens don't always lay. Be patient, don't even think of adding another queen until you are SURE they are queenless. The test frame was the right way to go.

Your colony might be brood less because they have no food
The test frame will tell provided there were eggs and young larvae there.
Perhaps put a pollen patty on the top frames? Whatever you do they obviously need feeding.

If they were calm then I bet there is a queen there
What’s the history of the colony?
More information would be helpful

Hi thanks the bees were Very calm I placed two frames of honey in there a week ago as I wasn’t sure what to do honey but there is still no brood hence why I placed a frame from a different hive in there. Of brood and larvae and eggs

t no brood or stores.

At the very least, feed them. As enrico: be patient. There have been so many times when I have thought a colony had failed to raise a new queen only to find a week or so later egs and a laying queen. The frame you have added may help you in deciding the way forward; check in a few days for emergency queen cells.

Hi thanks the bees were Very calm I placed two frames of honey in there a week ago as I wasn’t sure what to do honey but there is still no brood hence why I placed a frame from a different hive in there. Of brood and larvae and eggs

Hi they were a new nucleus in June

Latest posts

Back