No Queen ;o(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friar Tuck

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just did an inspection to see how things were going.

I did an AS 3days ago moved queen into another hive with eggs brood etc. Be have now started to fly. Put 3 frames of brood in with her and a very good shake of new bees + foundation. Bees are still there but cant find the queen? just lots of bees feeding on honey. Going to add feeder asap ( on the cooker AWS)

Original hive, obviously has to replace 3 frame of foundation so 2 new at the front and i put 1 in amongst the brood thought this would draw quick, It had but with about 30 emergency QC nun with jelly or eggs.

Still have capped QC in original hive dose look lots bigger now and more wax drip effect ;o) now orange tip tho.

What do i do now?

Has my marked queen swarmed? buggered off?

If anyone can gimme some help i feel real down now :(:banghead:

I did an AS 3days ago moved queen into another hive with eggs brood etc. Be have now started to fly. Put 3 frames of brood in with her and a very good shake of new bees + foundation. Bees are still there but cant find the queen? just lots of bees feeding on honey. Going to add feeder asap ( on the cooker AWS)

Original hive, obviously has to replace 3 frame of foundation so 2 new at the front and i put 1 in amongst the brood thought this would draw quick, It had but with about 30 emergency QC nun with jelly or eggs. QUOTE]

Hi FT

I am a bit confused, you say you did an AS ? why were you tipping in bees ? the original queen goes into a BB back on the original spot, on a frame without any eggs, preferably no brood from what i have also been told, so you end up with just the Queen and all the foragers having to work on foundation. (just like they have swarmed)

You then have all the brood frames with non flyers just house bees in the other brood box which you move away and they will raise their own queen.

I guess people do this differently but for an AS you want to try and convince the Queen and foragers they have swarmed.

Are you down on bees in the queened hive ?
An orange tip does say the queen cell is about to hatch and the queen could of swarmed.

How were the bees,did they seem queenless ?

Regards feeling down,I often find that when you think you are faced with disaster at the next inspection the bees have sorted themslves out and all is good again.

I have lost count of the number of times I have walked away from the apiary feeling sh*t because I think I have messed up,only to feel amazing a week later when all is well.

I think you may of also got your AS wrong as you ended up with a queen and brood.

4000 posts and..............
I have lost count of the number of times I have walked away from the apiary feeling sh*t because I think I have messed up,only to feel amazing a week later when all is well.

You can't imagine how good that makes me feel
Not that you should feel sh*t ..............oh you know what I mean
(sorry to hijack your thread FT)

Yes i defiantly did it wrong. I moved the queen and new bees into a new hive. Not 5 feet from my old hive.

so now i have no queen, and a funny spit.

shall i just put the three frames from the new hive back in ?

I guess PH was saying by removing the queen it will allow them to finish the process they have started, ie raise their own queen, without you losing half your bees with an imminent swarm.

It buys you a bit of time.

This happened to me earlier in the season.
The old queen buggered off after the A/S (one frame of brood with her with no Q cells)

I only moved the nurse bees and brood 3 feet - perhaps this was significant?

Mine made a QC from this one brood frame and it's all turned out OK.

Spoke with a few other 2nd yr beeks at a recent meeting - we all felt crap beekeepers as it had not gone according to plan, but decided all the experienced ones have troubles too but never admit them. Made us all feel better.

Yer I'm a bit more chilled out now, phoned a friend :D and he said i prob just missed the queen in the Nuc, and don't worrie yet! she could have been hiding or being balled.

No jelly in any queen cup in the original hive.

We will see what happens.

I look at all the posts from those who have started this year, and it reminds me of my first year, when i asked all the same questions and made all the same mistakes.

I think if we are all honest, the Bees get the better of us every year in one hive or another, just less drastic as time goes by.

don't worrie yet! she could have been hiding or being balled.

No point in worrying. If she has been 'balled', she is likely dead - but no point in worrying; that won't change anything. Just write down all the options you have to rectify the situation, when you can confirm exactly what that situation is. Then choose your favoured option and go with it.

RAB

Back