night time behavior

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrysalis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not sure if anyone here goes down to their hive in the dark but we have to most nights in order to find the cat.

Tonight the bees appear to be acting strange. Instead of being inside the hive they is a huddle of them at the entrance.

http://chyrsalis1111.blogspot.com/2010/07/night-time-activity.html

I feel like a mother hen but does this normally happen? I always assumed bees went inside the hive during the night.

Last edited:
There is a brood and 1/2 plus 3 x supers and it certainly isnt hot here in Derbyshire at the moment.

hmm?

They often hang out on warm summer nights,sometimes completely covering the front of the hive,nothing to worry about.

My brother has just phoned me saying that the hive entrance is covered with bees. As they have drawn out 9 combs in super can only suggest that they need more room so he will put another super on tomorrow.

Not sure if anyone here goes down to their hive in the dark but we have to most nights in order to find the cat.

Tonight the bees appear to be acting strange. Instead of being inside the hive they is a huddle of them at the entrance.

http://chyrsalis1111.blogspot.com/2010/07/night-time-activity.html

I feel like a mother hen but does this normally happen? I always assumed bees went inside the hive during the night.
Thank you so much for putting this on the forum, mine are doing the same thing. One hive was having flying training until it rained, and they never quite got back in the hive. I have a small board on top of the hive to keep the most rain off the front landing board. This lot is from a swarm and have been building up nicely, I've only just put on a super and would have had a look in today, but it rained nearly all day.
My other hive doesn't have the bees on the front doorway, but you can see them just inside huddled up, they aren't as many bees in this hive, but I would like to put on a super as soon as possible. Luckly its going to be a mild night. See in the morning and let them sort it out themselves. Let us know what happens to your in the morning.
regards Steven

Hello Steven

like yours our 2nd hive is all tucked up in bed. I will have a look first thing and let you know what they are up to.

as we speak all 3 of my hives are covered in bees just milling around chattin:) must admit its very warm down here at the mo the themom says 20degs phew!!!!!

I've a hive with a 14x12 brood box and five supers, some of which were recently extracted and maybe a couple that are near full again that is currently like this, so space shouldn't be a problem and nor should temperature with a mesh floor with it currently being about 17 deg C and drizzle for the past few hours.

It's more likely brood near the bottom of the frames to keep warm, guarding against predators and CO2 regulation.

can only suggest

Several things it can suggest, per eg.

Too crowded.
Too hot.
Swarming imminent.

Alternatively there may be no adverse-to-beekeeper (or to the bees for that matter) reason.

Different times, different scenarios, different reasons. Beekeeping is rarely ever 100% predictable. Indications, signs are there to be observed and interpreted by the beekeper, and investigated/rectified as seen fit. If it was so simplistic there would be a simple bee operator manual and no questions needed on a forum like this.

RAB

From my experience bees hanging around the entrance usually indicate a swarm is eminent, I suggest to do a split especially when you have buckfast queens, then leave them and see what happens, if still queenless by September unite with another stock, good luck.

Gillybee.

From my experience bees hanging around the entrance usually indicate a swarm is eminent, I suggest to do a split especially when you have buckfast queens, then leave them and see what happens, if still queenless by September unite with another stock, good luck.

Gillybee.

Many of my colonys hang out on the front of the hive at night....and are buckfast.....so your suggestion is i go split the lot of them, as swarming is imminent. Must say i have not found this to be the case at all,and many still do it right into september if the weather is warm.

Hello Steven

like yours our 2nd hive is all tucked up in bed. I will have a look first thing and let you know what they are up to.
Hi Chrysalis
Bees back to normal, warm night, check the hives as it isn't raining or cool or windy, rain later! Taken in plenty of pollen. Thank you RAB, but not crowded, 4 frame still need drawing out and have a just put on a super as I was away over the w/e and if the weather turned hot may have needed it. To hot, OMF and half open entrance, no sign of swarming, this was a caste swarm and the queen got mated and all seems happy in the hive. I think that during the day the bees where out at flying school and when it rained and didn't stop they were confused and didn't know whether to go in or out, got stuck in the entrance as it cooled and just stayed there until they worked there way in or started flying again at first light. Because bee keeping is not 100% predictable we ask questions like this to see if anyone else is sitting at home wondering. Its nice to get feed back so you know 'you are not alone'.

My bees do the same. Seems to be connected with humidity rather than temperature per se.

BeeNice,

My response was to the simplistic phrase (in bold at the top of my post) from another poster.

I simply gave some other reasons to demonstrate that the suggestion "can only suggest" to make it very clear to any new beeks reading the thread that it was not the only reason for that behaviour.

Seems it went over the heads of some. Any more direct and I would likely have the forum police after me.

Regards, RAB

Hi Rab
Bee keeping is a black art, you need to look and learn and surmise as best you can, prevention being upmost on everyones mind. My other hive is short on supplies and I asked a few beeks I know for some extra advice on maybe feeding, so this evening I'll be putting on some feed. This is a newly hived nuc and have used up there stores in this latest bad weather.
Keep up with the advice so everyone can benefit and take what they want from the feeds.
regards Steven

Latest posts

Back