Nicot system problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can take the top box off as in an AS or just take and use the queen cells and keep the process rolling for weeks.

It really is a win, win approach for both raising queens and a honey harvest as the colony is kept intact.
Yes indeed. This year was such a rubbish season because of the weather the only colonies that gave me a half decent crop were the ones I Demareed

A quick squint at records tells me that every colony on Demarree this year produced over 100lbs of honey. Those I split did next to nothing. These provided nucleus colonies as well so it really is worth the effort.

Then it’s not a Demaree
Look here Demaree

True but that would still allow the colony to rear supersedure queens as they can still smell the queens pheromones from the colony below from the screen board.

A quick squint at records tells me that every colony on Demarree this year produced over 100lbs of honey. Those I split did next to nothing. These provided nucleus colonies as well so it really is worth the effort.

Would it allow one to rear multiple queens using this method. If you want to rear one queen genetic over another.

Yes, it's what I do. I raise queens from the very best colonies only.
What I really like about this method over grafting is leaving the choice to the bees. They know which eggs to select, I'm sure their choice will be better than mine.

True but that would still allow the colony to rear supersedure queens as they can still smell the queens pheromones from the colony below from the screen board.
Never done one
Not attracted by the method though lots of people do use it.

Thank you Steve and Dani

I have certainly learnt something new today, I shall give it a try for next year's queen rearing.

Latest posts

Back