Nicot cupkit issues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Having trouble with cupkit. Twice now have put queen (different each time) into cupkit. She has laid eggs and been removed. Three days later the cells are empty of eggs or larvae. Not sure what is happening. One queen has been used to successfully graft by hand. Queens are AMM's.

I’ve certainly had them remove eggs before, hence the reason for continuing to graft. Plus you can rectify the situation in an hour not days.

I’ve certainly had them remove eggs before, hence the reason for continuing to graft. Plus you can rectify the situation in an hour not days.
I was planning on having a go at grafting for the first time this afternoon - currently only have the German (?) tool - strange shaped metal end to it. Have ordered some chinese grafting tools too. Have you tried both types and if so, which is your preferred?

I prefer the Chinese type, however I only stopped using a fine squirrel hair art brush when the local shop closed. To make it easier use the back of tool or cocktail stick to break down surrounding cell walls to get a better angle. Those Chinese type have a habit of breaking pretty quickly!! If your stuck a cocktail still can pass, just flatten end/ point with your front teeth to make a small scoop.

I find it easier to leave Q in Cupkit for three days. by the time you remove her, eggs are starting to hatch into larva and be fed by bees. So less chance of bees removing eggs.

The other alternative method using the cupkit system, is to go back after 24 hours and use the eggs instead of waiting for larvae which may or may not develop.

Latest posts

Back