Nice looking wooden Bees at Work sign

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Alte Fritz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi
Anyone know where I can get a nice looking warning sign "Caution Bees at Work" probably in wood? I see Thornes do some but these are white vinyl and a bit HSE looking.
Many thanks

I can see a challenge for me. I do a bit of painting, see my avatar.

I shall have a go.

Hmmm where to start?

The only worry I would have is: If you put a sign up then you are admiting there is a potential problem.

Its something that a no win no fee solicitor will use in court against you if a member of the public is stung near your hives.

Never been to fond of the idea of putting up signs,apart from the reason Admin states, it seems like a way of saying hives this way come and steal us.
National trust wanted me to put a couple up on a road once, as i had hives in the field by the road hedge..... they then went and built a lovely big car park near another private apairy site of mine.....which was rather a stupid thing to do,and i mentioned that i should put signs all round there new car park....like danger bee's....they soon gave up the idea of me putting up signs of any sort regards bee's anywhere.

The only worry I would have is: If you put a sign up then you are admiting there is a potential problem.

Its something that a no win no fee solicitor will use in court against you if a member of the public is stung near your hives.

True enough, sadly these days. But as usual there must be a legal wording round these things. How about "Bees working"?

cheers

Bees working should be fine, its just a statement of fact.

Bees working should be fine, its just a statement of fact.

Could be interpreted as a statement of the fact that you were worried enough that someone was going to get stung by your bee's,so you needed to put up the sign, who knows with twisted legal issues.

LOL put a disclaimer Enter at your own risk !!! hahaha i have a sign on my gate that ses trespassers will be shot (joke... i dont really)

:p

A sign tells everybody you have bees.

Do you really want to do that?

On my hives at my out apiary I have a sign saying "happy bees at work" as some people still don't really know what a bee hive looks like unless it's a WBC, and go poking around, I also have my mobile No. on too just in case of a problem, but then again, if they can read the phone No. they are really too close. in four years of keeping them there, I've never had a call.

Enzo

You could make one easy enough. Even if the lettering is scruffy it will look endearing. Just carve the lettering into an old piece of wood and oil it.

Hi
Anyone know where I can get a nice looking warning sign "Caution Bees at Work" probably in wood? I see Thornes do some but these are white vinyl and a bit HSE looking.
Many thanks

I can probably get you one from a friend who already makes wooden signs. Let me know what you want, rectangular , square, round etc?

Expect to pay about 20-25 pounds

Cheers
S

How about contacting your local solicitors and asking them if they would like to sponsor your apiary signs.

Ian

Been thinking about this recently as my girls are a few yards away from a public right of way, luckily little used.

Decided that I need a sign to give due warning (the hives are easily viewable from the path), but don't want to advertise unessesarily so sign will be disreet.

Put the sign/s on the hive/s,

only visible to somebody who might be entering your garden illegally............ as opposed to being visible to anybody in the vicinity who might then decide to complain to council or the RSPCA that you are keeping bees in overcrowded hives...and its cruel...........

Hmm, if its anything like my ASBO bees, then the sign should read.

"If you can read this, the hospital is 10 miles due north"

I can probably get you one from a friend who already makes wooden signs. Let me know what you want, rectangular , square, round etc?

Expect to pay about 20-25 pounds

Cheers
S

Your offer is a great - many thanks. We would be looking for a sign about 12" x 8" square with a picture of a WBC and the logo "Bees Working" on it and with a frame or edge round the edge of the sign. I would need two, one needs to go onto a pole and the other onto a wall. I posted a link to the Thornes catalogue as they have a honey for sale one that looks very smart.
https://secure.thorne.co.uk/popup/packaging9.htm

I can understand the need not to advertise your hives but the idea of these signs were on my own land to stop people wandering around the back part of the garden and blundering into the hive unexpectedly.

My professional experience is that you are better off putting up a sign warning about a potential hazard no matter how small the risk than not putting up a sign and hoping it is not deemed a hazard. Nowerdays in our risk averse society everything is a hazard! We have been told we must put on our menus that "Food may contain allergens" - just in case we get an allergic reaction from someone. :rant:

I use this.
Had it laminated and it's on my garden gate.

picture.php

Latest posts

Back