Nibbled carapice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
In Wilderness's Album there is a varroa mite with damaged outer shell.
What i want to know is how this happened? Did the bees do this or was it done whilst manovering the varroa into position to take a photo of it?

Please let me know.

Mo

In Wilderness's Album there is a varroa mite with damaged outer shell.
What i want to know is how this happened? Did the bees do this or was it done whilst manovering the varroa into position to take a photo of it?

Please let me know.

Mo
How we going to do this...resurrect the varroa mite and ask it?
PS hope you do well at your exams.

Last edited:
Contact Ron Hoskins (Swindon) he will be able to tell you and show you loads of damaged mites. He spends hours counting and examining them under a mircoscope.

Last edited:
Hey Hivemaker, don't you know how to talk to a dead Varroa? and I thought you were a good keeper of bees, oh well!
If Wilderness can remember if the outer shell was damaged by them removing or collecting the Varroa or was the damage done prior to them moving the Varroa it would indicate that somewhere there could be very hygienic bees.

Thank you beebreeder, I know and am in touch with Ron.

I wish my bees would do something to the Varroa.

Mo

Hi Mo,

I found the Varroa on the board, with damaged carapace, during my summer monitoring. I usually take a look with a magnifying glass at the debris, then remove interesting bits to look at under the microscope. This was the only damaged one I saw (unfortunately)

hygienic bees

problem is hygienic behaviour re varroa isn't a black and white, on-off affair - from what i've read you're talking upto 50% of mites nibbled in best colonies vs 20-30% in worst.

Hi wilderness
Would it be possible that next year you might examine the floor dbris to see how many mites have dammaged shells or missing legs as this might give an indication how your bees are reacting towards Varroa.

Also drstitson I don't understand what your talking about 50% of what? 20-30% of the 50% what are you saying please.

Mo

Hi wilderness
Would it be possible that next year you might examine the floor dbris to see how many mites have dammaged shells or missing legs as this might give an indication how your bees are reacting towards Varroa.Mo

Absolutely. I'm trying to wean myself off the chemical rollercoaster.

I intend to raise carnivorous bees in the future :coolgleamA:

Back