NHS - Poor Cost Control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
As many of us are of a certain age, we are offered bowel screening - with the use of poo sticks.
Thats all to the good.
But on Tuesday I received a letter and little booklet explaining I would receive my poo sticks within two weeks.
So doubling up on postage costs because the sticks are to come separately.
Today, my other half received a similar notification.
Across the nation this duplication must be costing a veritable fortune.
Something so simple ........

What qualification is needed. I'm 87 going on 21 and haven't got an offer yet so what makes you so 'special' at my expense.🤣🤣

I have had tests every three years. (74 now).
The latest test only requires a once off test rather than prior ones which required a number of samples over several days.

It:poop: is not an experience I look forward to : so far I have been cleared every time..

I have had tests every three years. (74 now).
The latest test only requires a once off test rather than prior ones which required a number of samples over several days.

It:poop: is not an experience I look forward to : so far I have been cleared every time..
Glad to hear it and sorry old mate that you must have had a medical problem to be' awarded' the honour of poo sticks? Anything I need to look out for? I am merely bloody ancient with nothing much that is untoward atm and almost looking forward to get off this declining globe before we all fry.

What qualification is needed. I'm 87 going on 21 and haven't got an offer yet so what makes you so 'special' at my expense.🤣🤣

You were born too long ago Afermo! I'm 80 and was offered the sticks when I was about 70 = 10 years ago when you were c. 77. When I became 75 I was told the screening would stop. In other words, when the screening programme started you were already older than the age of the population to be screened!

Edit, having read post 6: Visible blood incorporated in the motions is the main red flag. Blood just on the paper is most commonly due to haemorrhoids - but always seek advice. PS, I'm not just talking through my arse, I'm a retired gastroenterologist!

Last edited:
Alright ... that's enough - surfeit of information !

If you get the letter and the kit all is explained - if you get the chance do the test.

Bowel cancer is a killer if it is not picked up but caught early is treatable. It's a simple test and the results come back quickly and it's very reassuring when you get a clean bill of health.

As many of us are of a certain age, we are offered bowel screening - with the use of poo sticks.
Thats all to the good.
But on Tuesday I received a letter and little booklet explaining I would receive my poo sticks within two weeks.
So doubling up on postage costs because the sticks are to come separately.
Today, my other half received a similar notification.
Across the nation this duplication must be costing a veritable fortune.
Something so simple ........

Unless they have found that doing it in two stages increases the uptake rate.

Which is very possible.

In which case, it could be saving a veritable fortune.

Bowel cancer is a killer if it is not picked up but caught early is treatable.
:iagree: killed my stepfather, but luckily they picked it up early enough with SWMBO's aunty (and my friend) Karene and she's back to living a full life as before (some would say over full!!)

Alright ... that's enough - surfeit of information !

If you get the letter and the kit all is explained - if you get the chance do the test.

Bowel cancer is a killer if it is not picked up but caught early is treatable. It's a simple test and the results come back quickly and it's very reassuring when you get a clean bill of health.
Don't be too reassured. The Fecal Occult Blood (FOB) test has been around for around a century and is not that accurate, but neverthless has been amply demonstrated to be very useful. (Diagnostic Accuracy of FOBT and Colorectal Cancer Genetic Testing: A Systematic Review & Meta-Analysis ) There are better tests on the way, such as ones that detect the cororectal cancer tumour's DNA in the stool: At-Home Colon Cancer Screening | Cologuard® Patient Site | Risk Info

And the FOB test is a damned sight more accurate than is the PSA test for prostate cancer

I always wonder that people must have a very good aim and superb sphincter control to be able to curl one down on such a teeny leetle stick
If my experience this morning is anything to do by - they're gonna need a bigger stick!

Like many things in life it's a question of Practise, Practise, Practise. With a bit of luck, by the time you're in the screening age group you should be adequately proficient.:poop:

Happy days......this was meant to be about cost control, not sphincter control.
I should have known better I suppose🤯
(Made me laugh though, especially the intervention from Philip🤪)

I always wonder that people must have a very good aim and superb sphincter control to be able to curl one down on such a teeny leetle stick
Two digits modus operandi works best. With nitriles on of course!!!!

Back