NHS Covid App

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing's gone T!Ts up - SWMBO had a message at 0100 yesterday morning to tell her she'd been in contact with a suspected Covid sufferer but she hasn't been anywhere! apparently there's been a raft of dud alerts over the last day or so.

The thing's gone T!Ts up - SWMBO had a message at 0100 yesterday morning to tell her she'd been in contact with a suspected Covid sufferer but she hasn't been anywhere! apparently there's been a raft of dud alerts over the last day or so.
Are you sure ? .... she might have sneaked out whilst you were down in the chamber of secrets ...

These are screenshots of Stan’s and my phone sitting on the table next to each other
😬View attachment 22710View attachment 22711
There was an article in the news about the app not updating. Apparently to save money and some other reasons which I can’t remember, it only updates in tranches so two people in the same location may for a short time have different levels shown. It was a BBC tech/health report.

Are you sure ? .... she might have sneaked out whilst you were down in the chamber of secrets ...
the chain isn't that long - in fact, she claims it doesn't even reach the kitchen sink!

Seriously!?

The government gave £12 billion, that is 12 000 000 000 to Serco to develop that thing and this happens?

£12 thousand million and they can'tget it right. Just let that sink in.

Seriously!?

The government gave £12 billion, that is 12 000 000 000 to Serco to develop that thing and this happens?

I'm not defending the success or otherwise of the Track and Trace app .... or Serco's part in managing it ... but ... they were not responsible for building the app ...

https://fullfact.org/health/Serco-test-and-trace/
They certainly have a large number of Government contracts but under HMG procurement rules anything of a value likely to exceed £50k (I think from memory ?) has to go to open tender .. and again, I'm not saying that they are the right people to be operating some of these contracts or that they are doing a good job ... just keeping 'facts' correct. Don't believe everything you see on Facebook .... indeed, I'd go so far as to say don't believe ANYTHING you read on Facebook unless you have verified it somewhere legitimate !

https://www.contractsfinder.service.gov.uk/Search/Results

Last edited:
Seriously!?

Not the first huge sum of money the government of the time has given a service provider for a project that either has been scrapped or doesn't work.
It happens regularly.

Seriously!?

Don't know about the exact figures but your wonderful westminster government has steadily been giving away millions to certain businesses without recourse to parliament . I voted tory all my life until the "rich beyond the dreams of avarice" hedonism and plain lies took hold some years ago: you won't need to look far to see where the interests of mog-jones, cummings and others really lie.

Okay, let me rephrase...

The government gave £12 BILLION to somebody to build it and this happens.

Again ... you need to check the facts .... this is fake news ....

https://fullfact.org/online/test-and-trace-app-cost/
https://www.computerweekly.com/news...s-outline-cost-of-coronavirus-app-development

Again, I'm not defending something that is not working properly but the cost is NOT £12 billion ... yes ... it may be in the order of £50 million but this is not just development costs and having had some experience of what companies who develop this type of software charge clients I'm not really surprised at that sort of figure ... particularly when you are paying over the barrel rush charges ... if it worked fully after four months of development I would be amazed ... the fact that it doesn't work is hardly surprising. Plus ... in terms of costs ... you should perhaps be looking at Google and Apple at what they are charging ...

https://www.med-technews.com/features/nhs-test-and-trace-the-developers-behind-the-app/

Last edited:
Seriously!?

Err no

" Serco did not build and does not operate the NHS test and trace app "

https://fullfact.org/health/Serco-test-and-trace/

Apart from that small issue :devilish::love::eek: your post was spot on

I use the track and trace app when I go to the pub just to avoid having to reel off my phone number and other details. I'm pretty sure that if my phone told me I'd had a contact I probably wouldn't take any notice of it if I was pretty sure I hadn't been close to anyone I don't know. I am in my latter sixties now and am using my own rules to avoid COVID by just trying to keep away from people. I'm sure if everybody just did this simple thing the virus would die out but with students, large families, and the downright ignorant keeping things close and personal there is little chance of a significant reduction in infections. I don't think this new lockdown will achieve anything at all as there are so many exceptions. Couple that with the fact the people have just had enough and no longer really believe any of these so-called laws actually do anything useful and you have the inevitability of widespread infection. Many of my friends are of a 'certain age' and we all generally agree that people who feel vulnerable should just keep out of the way (as I am doing) and give the virus it's head to run amok until it burns itself out. Yes, this will fill hospital beds and there will be deaths but how many deaths are occurring because people cannot get treatment for other things? Suicides are up as well and the cost of mental illness over many years to come will be huge and other lives will be generally shortened for various reasons.

The government is between a rock and a hard place and they are trying to please everyone and ending up pleasing no one. They base their decisions on the 'science' but the science doesn't agree either, it really depends with whom you talk. Closing pubs is just a nonsense as that is the very industry that has changed itself so much to prevent the spread of COVID; most infections occur between family members at home.

Let it run and the devil take the hindmost.

(Braces for vitriol)

I think the number one point/issue is social distancing/proximity to others, number two simple hygiene measures, and number three persuading morons not to join together to do the hokey cokey through the streets. Masks are helpful of course. Closing pubs is debatable but the drunken binge mentality that seems to be the english idea of fun has to be stamped out, god knows why we don't charge £50 (or more) per person treated by the NHS for alcohol related treatments anyway, might stop the fools from imbibing to excess and might provide a useful source of revenue for the under funded NHS anyway I don't see drunkeness in any form as an NHS problem at all.
How do you persuade people to respect others?

You start from the cradle

Yes ..

I think that, amongst younger generations there is a a faction (not all of them) that appears to have little notion of personal responsibility or any social conscience. I'm not saying that this is not evident in some older people ... it just appears to me to be a more prevalent trait in younger people.

I have a notion that growing up in a world that is more driven by consumerism and protected by the nanny state has had a very adverse effect on some young people - the ones that have everything and can afford everything are bad and those that can't and don't react in ways that are equally antisocial.

Parental influence in many cases appears to be neglible, there is little respect for authority and whilst I have immense respect for the teaching profession they face an impossible task of correcting any lack of social awareness as there is little in the way of discipline available that has any meaning. Encouragement and example will work with those who already have some cognisance of their personal responsibility but .,. if this has not been instilled from the cradle ... we have no hope.

The devisive society and the devisive politics we have in the UK at present (and I'm not pointing fingers at any political party - they all share some responsibility over the time since WW2 ) are fuelling the situation.

I fear for my grandchildren as I can't see any signs of the world changing ... if the writing is not on the wall with covid 19 what is it going to take to make people understand that we have a collective responsibility towards each other .... and the environment ? The few small voices of reason are often drowned by the protest howls of the masses who blame everyone but themselves.

I blame the parents - always - it started to decline seriously when , not so many years ago, there was a fashion to call and attempt to treat children as 'my little prince/princess'; it spawned a bizarre mentality and unrealistic expectations - we always say we want things "better" for the next generation, sadly we the adults never seem to pass on the mental and emotional toolkit necessary to do the job. As Pargyle suggested politicians have screwed us all royally certainly since the Thatcher era and before - mind you we are the clowns that vote them in and allow them to get away with screwing us. Is that the price of an adversarial political system ?

Yes ..

I think that, amongst younger generations there is a a faction (not all of them) that appears to have little notion of personal responsibility or any social conscience. I'm not saying that this is not evident in some older people ... it just appears to me to be a more prevalent trait in younger people.
Strange - the majority of the stupidity I've seen during the pestillence has been conducted by our 'state representatives' and most of the stupidity and selfishness been displayed by the older generations - many of the generation that throughout our lives have lectured us on how they knuckled down during the war and that we don't know we're born.

Latest posts

Back