next year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
im thinking of keeping bees any help would be appreciated
ie local courses
hive plans etc

yours hopefully

Hi Maineman, Welcome to the forum.
I suggest you find out where your local group is and get along to the remaining, pos 1 or 2 summer meetings 1st for experience and to check you really do want to keep them. When decided then join them. Attend as many, if not all winter meetings.

Dave cushmans site has some good hive plans on
www.dave-cushman.net/bee/textlinks.html
Just google for plans also there are other places.

Keep looking on here and asking questions when you need:.)

Theres a start:.) Di.

I would advise spending the time until spring reading good books ( there is a thread on here advising which books are recommended ), join a local association, you should get a bit of hive experience still as there is time left before they close up for winter, and ideally, find someone who will mentor you. Even if they can't be with you for every inspection, it would be a very good idea to try and find someone who can come down and help if you are uneasy about something, or if the bees don't do as they are asked and there is something you don't understand. You should be able to find someone at your local association who would be happy to aid you. I would also try, if possible, and get around as many different colonies as you can ( by invitation of course ) that way you will see differing behaviours, circumstances, through from a struggling colony to a strong one. If I had to do it from scratch ( we are doing it the wonky way round lol ) after hearing the advice on here, this is the way I would do it.

I did an inspection yesterday ( with our mentor ) and as we were closing, a thought hit me....how do people do this with no experience or guidance, and do it alone. When you have a box of tetchy bees who know the rain is coming it can be a bit overwhelming. Hope that helps :)

PS I'm an Ashton lass originally, a neighbour almost ;)

Here's how I've done it: I found my local association was running a beginners day in spring. Went to that- talks in the morning, apiary visit in the afternoon. Joined the association- got to go through the hives every weekend. Got my bees through the association, and have been back to the apiary every weekend with questions.

Works for me.

I think most local associations have a beginners course which runs during the winter (its what I did).
You get to ask loads of questions, meet local beeks and get advice on everything and anything.
Then when the weather warms up in the spring you get to do the 'practical' side, where you deal with the bees themselves.
It's free and I really appreciated it. I wouldn't be here now without having done it.
Although I have to say I think I've learnt at least as much from this forum as I did from the course, and continue to learn everyday.

as we were closing, a thought hit me....how do people do this with no experience or guidance, and do it alone.

In terror generally Karen!!

as we were closing, a thought hit me....how do people do this with no experience or guidance, and do it alone.

In terror generally Karen!!

Not sure I could. Good thing with Paul is he's big, and I can hide behind him lol. Seriously though, they were not like they usually are. I am really not sure I would have coped if alone. I know it's early days, only my 5th bee experience and 3rd inspection. :svengo:

I have been doing it alone so far. I read loads of books last winter, bought a hive in January, read again until June when I bought a nucleus. So far, so good. My beautiful little bees seem very well adjusted. Any problems I have had, I have resoved them on this site(there are loads of really clever people on here) I do intend joining an association later in the year as it is very lonely doing it alone.

many thanks for the replies, do any of you know where i can find my local association.

The BBKA website has a page which list practically all of them. Another tip is to go into any local grocer (not the supermarkets as their stock never includes truly "local" honey) and have a look at a pot of local honey and, if the producer's bona fides are OK, his/her name address and telephone number will be on the label. Give them a buzz. Simple "tsk" as the meerkat says.

Latest posts

Back