Next weeks Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Was just wondering if anyone will be offering their hives any protection from the sun this week with predicted temps between 25-31?

Particularly those in full sun all day long ? is it necessary ?

I use 2 old roasting bowls full of water, with plastic mesh on top.
Stops the bees from drowning in them.
I leave them on top of the metal top hive.
I just have to keep topping it up.

I should take delivery of my first poly hive on Tuesday or Wednesday.

John

Planbee,is that a poly National or are you going Langstroth ?

Poly hives.... warm in the cool and.....

Unfortunately not very good in direct sunshine as they can retain heat. At least with Warnholtz hives.

I gather Aussies cannot use polystyrene mini nucs for queen mating as they get too hot. I have had problems with them when exposed to direct sunshine. Much better results with mini nucs under a hedge and no direct sunshine.

The one I've ordered, and a second, if it's successful, is a Langstroth.

I'm hoping to get access to a piece of land that is relatively sheltered, next year, but I'd like to keep a couple of hives on the present plot.

It's a pleasant site during Spring and Summer, but is exposed to North and East winds; the two Polys', together with a windbreak of pallets, are an attempt, [an experiment?], to combat that.

John

Unfortunately not very good in direct sunshine as they can retain heat. At least with Warnholtz hives.

I've been keeping a close eye on a few I've got going and they seem to be handling it quite well so far. They get some direct sunshine during the day which isn't ideal, but it's the best I can do with limited space.

Latest posts

Back