next book please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi im looking to get my winter beeking reading in order
im fresh to beekeping (just 3 mounths 3 hives and passed gormanstown preliminary beekeping)
have already read
  • a pratical manual of beekeping by david cramp
  • beekeeping by kenneth k clark
  • guide to bees and honey by ted hooper

and am wondering which book to go for next any sugestions welcome
thanks in advance

I plan on reading " At the Hive entrance " Storch, got it online ( bittorrent, bit naughty lol ) and got the promise of the book if it can be found. It's hard to find at the mo, and quite expensive, but brilliant from what I've read so far.

Practical Beekeeping by Clive de Bruyn is a good read:cheers2:

Try "The Buzz about Bees" Jurgen Tautz. It gives great insight into bee behaviour and the hive as a superorganism.

This was available from my local library.
Cazza

I have just got- 'Keeping healthy honey bees' by David Aston and Sally Bucknall - it was recommended -looks to be interesting

I have just got- 'Keeping healthy honey bees' by David Aston and Sally Bucknall - it was recommended -looks to be interesting

I have just read it, very good read for any level of beekeeper with the all important up to date information. not really a "How To" manual though but loads of great info.

Enzo

Honey farming by... R.O.B Manley...and... Background to bee breeding... by John H Atkinson.

For the historical perspective, and a delightful read - "The Beemaster of Warrilow" by Tickner Edwardes

nope sorry your all wrong i would suggest to someone like this to buy one . and i will say that again one of the set of four of

"the beekeeping study notes"
i would suggest either one or two and then at christmas the second a birthday maybe number three.

they are exspensive at £25 each so not a quick purchase but the imformation inside is great and well writen, you can either skim over the top of the chapter or when you have a little more time or experience you can read to quite an indepth point on any subject.

thanks for the advise i have just bought my first instalment which should last for a while
"Collins Beekeeper's Bible: "
Philip Et Al Mccabe;

"Beekeeping for Dummies"
Kim Flottum

"A Colour Guide to Pollen Loads of the Honey Bee"
William D.J. Kirk

"Field Guide to the Bumblebees of Great Britain and Ireland"
Mike Edwards

"Practical Beekeeping"
Clive De Bruyn

"Keeping Healthy Honey Bees"
David Aston

"The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism"
Jürgen Tautz

slightly reddened the credit card doing it but what harm. again thanks for the advise

The Dummies book is pretty much useless for the UK. Do not take much in there as useful as it is NOT.

American books are to be read very much in that context. also bear in mind the author is an editor of a magazine, more than a bee keeper.

PH

Look out for a copy of the "Irish Bee Guide" (Subtitled: "A Manual of Irish Bee Keeping") by J.G. Digges - it was first published in 1904 but is very relevant. Reprints are readily available.

consider("A Manual of Irish Bee Keeping") it added to the list and thanks for the warning on the dummies book i wasnt to sure but it was only 7 euro so i though id give it a chance

Look out for a copy of the "Irish Bee Guide" (Subtitled: "A Manual of Irish Bee Keeping") by J.G. Digges - it was first published in 1904 but is very relevant. Reprints are readily available.

i located a first edition copy and am now reading this fabulous looking book. think this may become my new manual. thanks for the advise to get it worth every penny

Looking at the list on here I think there is an omission. WEDMORE. Its an old book (circa 1945 - 1954 print runs when I looked I think), but much is still relevant, whats more it is cleverly cross referenced so you can dip into it and read round a particular subject from different angles with relative ease. I like it.

I can't claim any credit for finding out about it, RAB (oliver90owner) recommended it in a post sometime last year. Not in current print but there were plenty s/h when I got mine. Chances of a lending library having one are low I would guess.

Latest posts

Back