Newby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bee_leigh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,
I'm Leigh from sunny Derbyshire and i'm looking to start keeping bees later this year.
I was interested in recommendations for books to read and what the best type of hide to start with is (I was looking at a national hide as these appear the cheapest)?
Many thanks
Leigh

Ted Hoopers, Guide to bees and honey is recommended by many here.

Top bar hives are the cheapest, especially if you can use a saw and a hammer.

Newbee

I suggest you contact your local beekeepers association (google)

it's a good time of year to start!

richard

ps

Yes, Ted Hoopers "guide to bees and honey"

Hi Newbee. Be aware that top-bar beekeeping is a bit non-standard. That's fine, but may be an issue if, for example, you want a mentor to help and they are unfamiliar with/disapprove of TBH's. I would suggest that is a vote in favour of whatever is most common in your area/association- probably Nationals.

2 more excellent books- 'Bees at the bottom of the garden' by Alan Campion- fairly basic but very clear for a beginner; and Beekeeping: A seasonal guide' by Ron Brown- a real rival to Ted Hooper in my opinion.

I have both the Ted Hooper and Ron Brown books and can recommend both!

And welcome to the forum!

One book I cant remember any body saying they have read is The Dummies Guide to Beekeeping........American...... Quite a good first read....

I have just finished reading A Practical Manual of Beekeeping by David Cramp which i thought was a nicely written, informative read. I also agree with all the other book recommendations.

Depending on which part of Derbyshire you're in you could join Derby BKA (meet in Crich), Chesterfield and District BKA (meet in Chesterfield) or Sheffield BKA (meet Nether Edge Sheffield). All very friendly and helpful.

Also lots of informal gropups around if you want help/advice.

Happy reading!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, the poll has helped and I shall be running with the masses and ordering a copy of Ted Hoopers book.
I'm in Denby Village so the Derby BKA will be my closest association.
Skyhook, you say that TBH's are a bit non-standard and that a mentor may be unfamiliar or disapprove of these, are they more difficult to maintain?
Thanks again for the replies

One book I cant remember any body saying they have read is The Dummies Guide to Beekeeping........American...... Quite a good first read....

you can't remember any one recommending it because?................................

doesn't the fact that no one recommends it say something? LOL

Ted Hooper every time!!

I have 4 now. Ted hoopers, David cramps, beekeepers bible and another one. The beekeepers bible is by far the best. Although not very portable. Not really a handbook you can carry with you to the apiary but absolutely brilliant to study at a table. It goes into all the history and mythology of ancient times as well.

Thanks for the replies, the poll has helped and I shall be running with the masses and ordering a copy of Ted Hoopers book.
I'm in Denby Village so the Derby BKA will be my closest association.
Skyhook, you say that TBH's are a bit non-standard and that a mentor may be unfamiliar or disapprove of these, are they more difficult to maintain?
Thanks again for the replies

Afficionados would say easier, others would say harder. Definitely different, and I think less likely to produce a decent crop. Promoted on the natural beekeeping website, seemingly mainly as a method of bee conservation, with hioney as a possible bonus.

Oh, and get 'bees at the bottom of the garden' from the library, and read it once before starting Hooper. That will give you an outline, and you can use Hooper as a refernce to fill in the gaps.

you can't remember any one recommending it because?................................

doesn't the fact that no one recommends it say something? LOL

Ted Hooper every time!!
It contains the same information as any of the other books........
Starts with getting the hive,then the bees and then step by step guide thro the year......Recipes candle making....

I think that people dont liketo admit they have read it because of the name..:rofl:

people dont liketo admit they have read it because of the name..

If it fitted the bill. It was probably a good choice.

Latest posts

Back