Newby Looking for help in southern spain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin B

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Good day to you all
I recently moved to southern Spain (andalusia). I would like to take up beekeeping and would love to find out more on how. What. Where

Is there anyone there to help me?

Geographically I'm one of the closer to you on the forum I suspect, yet I'm still 1,200km north! I would imagine there are some expats there into beekeeping so probably worth asking around & trying to find someone to ease you in - or depending on your Spanish, a truly local bee keeper. Personally, I've learnt what knowledge I have (still a first year beekeeper) via YouTube & this forum. Many, many things will be similar between the UK, France and Spain, however local conditions and even materials will be different. For example, Dadant hives are pretty popular in Spain as in France, however, their frames are slightly different sizes...go figure! I've only recently started to get to know other beekeepers in the broad local area - but it is so worth it.

My recommendation would be to buy a book or two on beekeeping, binge YouTube, ask around and get stuck in. If you want to get into it for this year I'd suggest you get cracking as the season will kick of fairly soon your way. If you look on https://www.milanuncios.com/ you'll find people advertising colonies for sale around your way & Malaga.

I use the following Spanish site for some materials as their prices are good and they're reliable: Tienda Online de Apicultura | La Tienda del Apicultor

Good luck!

Ted Hooper "Guide to Bees & Honey" is one of the best books around for dipping into. Google will get you there.

Geographically I'm one of the closer to you on the forum I suspect, yet I'm still 1,200km north! I would imagine there are some expats there into beekeeping so probably worth asking around & trying to find someone to ease you in - or depending on your Spanish, a truly local bee keeper. Personally, I've learnt what knowledge I have (still a first year beekeeper) via YouTube & this forum. Many, many things will be similar between the UK, France and Spain, however local conditions and even materials will be different. For example, Dadant hives are pretty popular in Spain as in France, however, their frames are slightly different sizes...go figure! I've only recently started to get to know other beekeepers in the broad local area - but it is so worth it.

My recommendation would be to buy a book or two on beekeeping, binge YouTube, ask around and get stuck in. If you want to get into it for this year I'd suggest you get cracking as the season will kick of fairly soon your way. If you look on https://www.milanuncios.com/ you'll find people advertising colonies for sale around your way & Malaga.

I use the following Spanish site for some materials as their prices are good and they're reliable: Tienda Online de Apicultura | La Tienda del Apicultor

Hi Richard
Thank you for you reply and valuable info.
I'm on the trail for a good book now

speak soon

Martin

Good luck!
[/QE]

Forget
Hi Queen Bee

Thank you so much for the tip on the book. I'm looking now 👍

Martin
Forget Hooper for a no experiennce start up ... as a later bookshelf essential yes, far too wordy for most people with no beekeeping under their belt. Look for the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping ... it's written to get you through the frst couple of years but there will be location specifics which you really need local knowledge to accommodate.

I'd be more inclined to put off keeping your own bees for a year and find a local beekeeper who you can work with to get some practical experience before diving headlong into a craft that needs a lot of commitment and some fundamental knowledge if you are going to succeed. More to it than it looks when you first start out ...

Forget

Forget Hooper for a no experiennce start up ... as a later bookshelf essential yes, far too wordy for most people with no beekeeping under their belt. Look for the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping ... it's written to get you through the frst couple of years but there will be location specifics which you really need local knowledge to accommodate.

I'd be more inclined to put off keeping your own bees for a year and find a local beekeeper who you can work with to get some practical experience before diving headlong into a craft that needs a lot of commitment and some fundamental knowledge if you are going to succeed. More to it than it looks when you first start out ...
Rubbish - handy all the time.

Well as about 90% of the people on here don't agree ... Hooper may be the definitive beekeeping tome but ...

a) It's written in a style of the last century (well it was published in 1976)
b) Even the updated editions are not really edited - just added to include a bit about varroa
c) There are lots of words and very few pictures - if you can call line drawings pictures.
d) The younger generation are not accustomed to reading and digesting in the way us ancients were brought up.

I said, it's useful to have on the shelf for those, occasionally, esoteric bits of information you won't find in a lighter bee book but .. to get a new beekeeper, with no previous beekeeping experience and possibly no mentor or even anyone speaking beekeepereze in the same language, through the first year or two .... You really can't beat Haynes.

So - sorry Arfermo - you are off piste this time.

Hi

Thanks for you opinion. Your 100% correct I an a complete vanilla when it comes to Beekeeping and that's the position I start from. I will take a look aye Hayes too.

I was hoping to find a member or two locally ( or at least in southern Spain) who could mentor me too.

Maybe I will scout the local farmers markets and see what I find there too.

I really appreciate your efforts

Martin

[/QUOTE]

Phil, I think you got the words the wrong way round!:)

Clearly, I would think, he is piste off. No mention of a different climate in hooper, I suppose? That might be useful, if there is, just for a start.

Different climate, different pests, different lots of things.

Phil, I think you got the words the wrong way round!:)

Clearly, I would think, he is piste off. No mention of a different climate in hooper, I suppose? That might be useful, if there is, just for a start.

Different climate, different pests, different lots of things.
[/QUOTE]
OMG

Have I started a domestic!!!

Only joking I really do appreciate all the opinions from each member

My outlook is if we all had the same view we would be in a very sad world.

I asked for advice and I'm getting it

Thank you all again for your advice on the books mentioned

I know I too once I've read them, will be (once I can put this knowledge into practice) able to offer my opinion too 😉

Martin

Martin,
Don't worry about starting an augument in here. Many here could start an aurgument with a doorpost without even talking!
Enjoy your new hobby and take scathing comments here with a pinch of salt.

Martin,
Don't worry about starting an augument in here. Many here could start an aurgument with a doorpost without even talking!
Enjoy your new hobby and take scathing comments here with a pinch of salt.
A thick skin and a sense of humour are a pre-requisite if you are going to play on here ... Loads of good advice and lots of characters - the one common thing is we all love our bees and advice is always offered with good intentions - whether it is good or bad advice - well ? You just have to sort it out in your own mind and follow your own path ....

Hi Martin, you may find there's a requirement to register your hives and or apiary with your local mayors office.

I'm told the DeLayens hive is a popular model in Spain.

Hi Martin, you may find there's a requirement to register your hives and or apiary with your local mayors office.

I'm told the DeLayens hive is a popular model in Spain.

Hi House Bee

Thank you for that, as always you need to look at regulations, especially in Spain as they make them up as they go along lol.....

Martin

Latest posts

Back