Newbie - South Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all, I’m currently undertaking the basic beekeeping course with the Torbay Beekeepers Club, hopefully learn some of the basics and necessities this season and then jump in to ownership next year. Having carried out a fair bit of research and listening to much advice I am split at the moment between going for a Commercial or a 14x12 set up, this decision so far is based on wanting to provide more room in the brood box area without having to double up brood boxes. Any comments or advice will be greatly received, from what I’ve learnt so far the biggest “down side” to the 14x12’s are that they can be a bit difficult to manage if the weather is very hot as there’s potential for them to slump when being handled due to the weight of a fully loaded brooded frame.
Thanks

No idea, haven't run either. But I would imagine the number of beekeepers running commercial hives in any locality is pretty limited, so if you choose that route you will forever be somewhat isolated from other beekeepers in your area - unable to gift them or sell them nucs, and unable to take colonies from them.

Maybe there are lots of commercial hives in your area though. You could do a poll of your local beekeeper Facebook page to see how many of each type there are around you, and let that be the deciding vote?

Hi all, I’m currently undertaking the basic beekeeping course with the Torbay Beekeepers Club, hopefully learn some of the basics and necessities this season and then jump in to ownership next year. Having carried out a fair bit of research and listening to much advice I am split at the moment between going for a Commercial or a 14x12 set up, this decision so far is based on wanting to provide more room in the brood box area without having to double up brood boxes. Any comments or advice will be greatly received, from what I’ve learnt so far the biggest “down side” to the 14x12’s are that they can be a bit difficult to manage if the weather is very hot as there’s potential for them to slump when being handled due to the weight of a fully loaded brooded frame.
Thanks
I run 14x12. I lasted one season with Nationals. The frames don’t slump in the heat if you handle them properly.
If I was starting again I’d use Langstroth.

Hi rob it’s personal Choice and for me I’d much preferred a dbl brood national. 14x12 or commercial would still be in the small side for prolific queens and I found less versatile. If your on a course look/try what they have. Also remember to buy your equipment in the sales!!!! Good luck Ian

:welcome:I run Langstroth as I DIY and nationals are a pia to make.

Hi rob it’s personal Choice and for me I’d much preferred a dbl brood national. 14x12 or commercial would still be in the small side for prolific queens and I found less versatile. If your on a course look/try what they have. Also remember to buy your equipment in the sales!!!! Good luck Ian
:iagree: double brood nationals are much more versatile than 14x12 but, as Dani, if I was starting again I'd go Langstroth (I actually did struggle deciding for quite a while before taking the plunge to go with Nats)
But as many here say, as a beginner it's usually easier to go with what is most used locally.

On that note is there a sensible priced supplier of wooden Lang gear.

Hi Rob, Hope you are enjoying the course and welcome to our wonderful world, I am a fellow Torbay member. My choice of hive is the 14x12 for the space reasons we all seem to encounter. I find commercial lugs too small to grasp and prefer the nationals as the top bars are interchangeable with the national supers which i have in abundance.

Latest posts

Back