Newbie paranoia...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megadyptes

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I got my hands on a nuc about a week ago, and after sitting it in the hive location transferred the frames over into the hive proper (didn't see the queen mind, but I think I got all the bees in). Following the advice given by my local BKA I added a feeder above the broodbox and have left well along since then (~5 days, so far). Of course, now flying solo a whole load of questions have come to mind...

I'm guessing the feeder (one of those plastic buckets with a gauze in the lid, inverted) was leaking slightly as there was a small puddle on the floor under the hive after a few days, but that seems to have dissappeared in the last day or so. Think I'll be changing to a different feeder next time, but is this likely to have done any harm?

How often do drone come and go from the hive? Watching it for a few minutes this evening there seemed to be a couple of drones a minute popping in/out. Is this normal or do I have some mutant mega-bees from the local neighbourhood coming in and stealing stuff? It didn't look like they were facing any resistance when entering, so I'm assuming all is well and it's just the boys going out cruising for some hot loving...

Drone_maybe.png

I've also been surprised by the size of some of the pollen sacks on the bees legs. Throughout the beginners course, all the bees seemed to have pollen sacks a few millimeters long and maybe a millimeter wide, these things are getting on for the half the size of the abdomen. I'm assuing that's good as they're clearly not struggling to find food.

Pollen_Sacks.png

If the weather's fine this weekend, I'll have a look and see if I can find the queen and see what sort of work they've done on the frames/foundation.

Last edited:
With warm days and cold nights, you can sometimes get a pump action from that type of feeder. I wouldn't worry.

I'm guessing the feeder (one of those plastic buckets with a gauze in the lid, inverted) was leaking slightly as there was a small puddle on the floor under the hive after a few days, but that seems to have dissappeared in the last day or so.

This sort of feeder works by creating a pressure difference inside the bucket once its inverted. A little syrup can be spilled in the process but they usually work ok unless there is drammatic fluctuation in temperature. If this happens the syrup can come gushing out over the bees so the ashforth and miller type may be better.

How often do drone come and go from the hive? Watching it for a few minutes this evening there seemed to be a couple of drones a minute popping in/out. Is this normal or do I have some mutant mega-bees from the local neighbourhood coming in and stealing stuff? It didn't look like they were facing any resistance when entering, so I'm assuming all is well and it's just the boys going out cruising for some hot loving...
There will be a lot more aftivity in the afternoons when it is warmer.
Drones often drift from one hive to another so there could be some from other hives. This is ignored by the workers until food becomes scarce when the drones are evicted from the hive to conserve resources.

I've also been surprised by the size of some of the pollen sacks on the bees legs. Throughout the beginners course, all the bees seemed to have pollen sacks a few millimeters long and maybe a millimeter wide, these things are getting on for the half the size of the abdomen. I'm assuing that's good as they're clearly not struggling to find food.

It is good. The bees need to store nectar (carbohydrate) for energy and pollen (protein). They are filling the larder for winter and next spring.

It is good. The bees need to store nectar (carbohydrate) for energy and pollen (protein). They are filling the larder for winter and next spring.

Those big pollen pellets are normal. Bees don't store pollen for very long, and this means that they often have to go out and collect the stuff even when flying conditions aren't very good or there aren't many flowers out - I think that's how they end up with the smaller pellets in spring.

Also worth knowing that larvae need to eat a lot of pollen and adult bees don't need very much, so if you see a lot coming in then it suggests that the colony is building up.

Puddle on the floor? Do you have a mesh floor (OMF) . If so does it have the varroa board slipped in underneath from the back? If so then remove it. You only need that in to do the odd varroa check during the year!
Puddle might have been condensation.
Bees have been doing all this flying and collecting things for years, don't give yourself a heartattack by worrying too much about them. They will give you real cause for worry in the future....trust me..... :) but well done for asking. Better to be safe than sorry.
E

By the way....your location on your info does help us answer questions better. Conditions vary in England, let alone the rest of the world so a town and country does help rather than planet earth!!!;)

Btw MegaD those feeders mean having to open the bees when you top up. Mine always dripped a small puddle under the hive too. I now use a top feeder that allows checking and topping up without letting bees out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes those contact feeders are a real pain.
A rapid feeder placed on top of a feeder board can be topped up easily in small increments which I feel is better at this time of year if you have to feed

Yes those contact feeders are a real pain.
A rapid feeder placed on top of a feeder board can be topped up easily in small increments which I feel is better at this time of year if you have to feed

I have rapid feeders....which work well...I much prefer to feed fondant though...it doesn't go mouldy either. I haven't had to feed any of my bees as they seem to be able to find enough food. Is there a specific reason not to use fondant? I know in the books etc it says to use it during the winter mainly but just wondered about using it if you have to feed during the June gap?

If you find that you have to feed your bees during a cessation of flow, remove all supers first.... or they will happily fill them up with syrup!
One very good reason NOT to spin off brood frames however full of honey they may appear be!
Thymolaled sugar as per Autumn feed will not go moldy.
Candy seems to be Ok any time... if not supering up.

Since i have lived in the South West Devon/South Hams/ Plymouth/ Cornwall... Tamar Valley... I have not noticed a June Gap
beginning to wonder if this is another of the old cut and past beebook author myths???

Yeghes da

I had to remove the frames of stores from the brood box.....there was nowhere for the queen to lay! And I didn't have any brood comb to replace it. That's the problem when you start beekeeping....you have no spare brood comb! And with that in mind when the colony was up to strength I added a second brood box...the main idea being to get more comb.....of course as they drew it out they promptly filled it with syrup...Ha ha! Mind you, it was very useful when making the splits as each one got a comb of syrup!
I keep seeing posts which say they are feeding because of the June gap....not that it is happening here either. Perhaps it is more obvious in areas where there are monoculture. I think the area I live in is established deciduous forest, countryside with lots of hedges and a village a mile away. So perhaps a more varied supply of nectar.
Thanks for the info re...candy.

My country side is similar but there was a lot of damage to incipient blossom in the gales we had. Bees rely so much on sycamore and it all got blown away.
Clover is here and Bramble just starting.
No June Gap last year at all....but then it was an excellent year everywhere.

Fondant is OK. Some beekeepers just put a whole block on the hive as autumn feed. I like to tinker with amounts so find syrup just the ticket. My bees never need fondant over winter.

Here you are, Tremyfro

Attachments

• FEEDING FONDANT instead of syrup in autumn copy.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 18
Here you are, Tremyfro

Ooo ta muchly.....saved!
There you see...another little tip! Use an ashworth feeder upside down.....good idea. Especially as I didn't like mine when used the right way up!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back