Newbie mouseguard query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
My mouseguards arrived yesterday from bee hive bits, I have just a couple of simple questions.

• with or without the entrance block? I'm on OMF's
  • which way up, broad edge up or down?

Thanks for any advice

Put mine on yesterday with the broad site up and the entrance block out. The theory behind this is that the space with the entrance block on is just too small. The broad side up allows the bottom row of holes to align with the bottom of the entrance. This allows the mortuary bees to drag out the corpses of dead bees.

I sat and watched the hives for 10 minutes and two wasps flew straight in through the mouseguards. They did not come out though so I assume that they are dead on the OMF.

Answered on the other thread, but for clarity, here it is again:

With an OMF, does it really matter if there is an entrance block - not really, so just your choice.

Personally, I usually leave in a piece of wood and only have shorter lengths of mouse guard, if actually fitted. I halve (at least) my mouse guard costs that way!

There are knock-on effects too. They can be stored in a smaller box, for a start and take up only half the room as twice as many!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back