Newbie from Worcester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebs

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all, just starting out on this venture! Initially looking at two hives hopefully, and currently doing lots of reading and video watching.
I have contacted my local group and am awaiting membership as I would love to be in contact with some local beers.
Still deciding on hive type etc so a long way to go........

Hi, see you are quite local, we are in Ombersley but we’re closer to you a few years ago as had a pub on clee hill

Hello all, just starting out on this venture! Initially looking at two hives hopefully, and currently doing lots of reading and video watching.
I have contacted my local group and am awaiting membership as I would love to be in contact with some local beers.
Welcome.
Lots of help here
Beware YouTube there is some absolute rubbish here. Check out Norfolk Honey. Black Mountain Honey posts here. Laurence waves his arms about a lot but his videos are good too. Mike Palmer posts here and although he is in Vermont a lot of his stuff applies equally here and is wonderfully entertaining.

Hi, see you are quite local, we are in Ombersley but we’re closer to you a few years ago as had a pub on clee hill
:love: it, which one the kremlin?, Royal Oak or the Cross.
There was others the dhustone Inn but that closed in the 80s.

Stick to Nationals. Almost everybody has them at some time which makes beekeeping life so much easier if you want to swap anything.

Stick to Nationals. Almost everybody has them at some time which makes beekeeping life so much easier if you want to swap anything.
Yeah, thinks that’s the direction I’m heading in

Hi Freebs,
Welcome to the mad house!
There was a thread in the last 6 months asking the question "what would you change if you were starting again" with lots of discussion on hive choices. I can't seem to find it at the moment but that would be worth looking at re hives. Maybe someone else is better at searching than me?
Neil

I would agree that you should go with nationals - mainly because they are so ubiquitous amongst hobby keepers and tend to be what everybody learns to use.

I have three National hives at Lineholt, two miles from Ombersley. I am happy to show you around if you are interested.

I have three National hives at Lineholt, two miles from Ombersley. I am happy to show you around if you are interested.
Hi, that would be fabulous, what hives do you have?
Simon

Hi Freebs,
Welcome to the mad house!
There was a thread in the last 6 months asking the question "what would you change if you were starting again" with lots of discussion on hive choices. I can't seem to find it at the moment but that would be worth looking at re hives. Maybe someone else is better at searching than me?
Neil
Hi, thanks for the welcome, after lots of thought I think I will be going down the long hive route! Controversial from the start!
Simon

Long hives fitted with standard National Frames.... bit of a faff to start out with.
Little steps... start with standard Nationals... leave the 14 x 12s well alone PITA as far as I have found!!
Chons da

The long hives by Hyde utilise the dn4 frames throughout which should be quite manageable?

The long hives by Hyde utilise the dn4 frames throughout which should be quite manageable?
They are, not a 'faff' at all, just a different approach to management. Hyde Hives make lovely looking bits of kit, albeit a bit costly to start up.
Just remember if you opt for long hives, get your location sorted from the outset, It's a bugger trying to move a long hive full of bees and honey if you end up with neighbour issues, or agressive bees that need moving away.

Hi, thanks for the welcome, after lots of thought I think I will be going down the long hive route! Controversial from the start!
Simon
Not at all controversial , as JBM pointed out its just a different style and its easier on your back. They're a few people who use this forum that maintain/use long hives of different types.

Latest posts

Back