Newbie from Southampton

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi, new to bee keeping but have got my first hive which I am preparing for a new colony hopefully in beginning of Spring. I have attended a taster session and currently reading and watching as many videos as poss to learn what I can but would love some help and advice from experienced keeper's to keep me on the right path.

Welcome, this is a great forum for accumulating beekeeping knowledge but ..

There are a couple of good associations around Southampton and they will be starting their beginners courses in the New Year ... you would be well advised to join one (very cheap when you don't have bees) and see if you can get on a proper course. They usually have several evenings of classroom theory followed by some apiary visits and practical beekeeping at the end in Spring. Our association usually manage to find some bees for the people who do the course so that in itself more than pays for the few pounds it costs. Good luck .. it's a great hobby and if you get hooked - you are hooked for life.

Welcome, this is a great forum for accumulating beekeeping knowledge but ..

There are a couple of good associations around Southampton and they will be starting their beginners courses in the New Year ... you would be well advised to join one (very cheap when you don't have bees) and see if you can get on a proper course. They usually have several evenings of classroom theory followed by some apiary visits and practical beekeeping at the end in Spring. Our association usually manage to find some bees for the people who do the course so that in itself more than pays for the few pounds it costs. Good luck .. it's a great hobby and if you get hooked - you are hooked for life.
Have just sent off my application for the Southampton bee keepers association. I know they have a lot to offer and intend to take full advantage of what they provide. Looking at finding the best bee supplier to provide my first nuc for the spring so am sure they can help. Looking forward learning something new and enjoying watching the bees flourish, hopefully.

Hi, new to bee keeping but have got my first hive which I am preparing for a new colony hopefully in beginning of Spring. I have attended a taster session and currently reading and watching as many videos as poss to learn what I can but would love some help and advice from experienced keeper's to keep me on the right path.
As you are video watching be sure to look at the Norfolk Honey Company videos.There is a great selection and its reliable information, unlike a lot of the american cowboy videos clogging up the space.

As you are video watching be sure to look at the Norfolk Honey Company videos.There is a great selection and its reliable information, unlike a lot of the american cowboy videos clogging up the space.
Be fair - there are plenty of UK numpties puting tripe on YouTube too😎

Last edited:
:iagree: ah yes the University of Guelph is also a good resource - for an absolute beginner though I still think there are non better than Stuart Spinks at Norfolk Honey as he keeps/kept the full range of english hives and langstroth; and then uses them all in his videos covering pretty much every aspect of beekeeping.

He also shows when things go wrong and mistakes made, unlike most YouTube videos which shows beekeeping as all sunny uplands and meadows. I enjoy watching his videos and can learn a lot, for a beginner its worth subscribing to his Patreon page.

:welcome:
I am just finishing my second season of beekeeping and concur with the above. Don’t be in a rush to get your first bees until you’ve had a lot of learning and practical experience first.

Thanks for all your recommendations and currently watching the videos from Norfolk honey. Waiting for my application to Southampton BKA to be confirmed then will sort out some classes/courses.

Latest posts

Back