Newbie from Kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well for I suppose just the interest I’ve ordered a Hive Heart 3 for internal monitoring of the hive, not sure that it will be any benefit, and certainly won’t replace hands on inspections but interesting to see the use of modern technology to beekeeping and I like gadgets 🤣

Never had a Tanagotchi, a bit too old for that craze 🤣 although being able to monitor internal temperature and humidity could be quite useful particularly in winter I think.

Never had a Tanagotchi, a bit too old for that craze 🤣 although being able to monitor internal temperature and humidity could be quite useful particularly in winter I think.
Ive never had one either! I do use a small really cheap digital thermometer and humidity sensor. The main information of use is the temperature inside the hive, it has a remote sensor at the end of a cable so I don't need to open the hive in winter to reassure myself that the bees are alive and well. Its often around 22 degrees when there is ice and frost around, and then by April it starts to climb as brood rearing gets underway.

Ive never had one either! I do use a small really cheap digital thermometer and humidity sensor. The main information of use is the temperature inside the hive, it has a remote sensor at the end of a cable so I don't need to open the hive in winter to reassure myself that the bees are alive and well. Its often around 22 degrees when there is ice and frost around, and then by April it starts to climb as brood rearing gets underway.
That’s where I’m hoping being able to wander within a few meters with my phone should provide the same information - fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited:
And put it outside somewhere
Will be moving it onto the stab (which installed this morning with nuc next door in shorts and t shift - must be getting brave) this afternoon when back from a trip to the mother in laws to sort out a blocked washing machine drain pipe - living the glamorous life 🤣 so NUC over to grass next to slab and transfer the brood frames, will need to check as brood was full AO supers added to NUC for honey storage, will transfer any with nectar over into a single super above brood chamber.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.MOV
    35.8 MB
Well think the queens settled in - foragers have been out and back with lots of pollen and internal hive temp and humidity showing they are working (sensor over new brood frames so don’t have the nurse bees heating frames below - will shift next inspection) C7239723-BB59-4A26-B71C-B830373505C1.png
68D5A733-D39A-4772-8E03-35F009F8EC0E.jpeg

I only have the internal sensor (Hive Heart v3) so measures internal temp, humidity, and frequency of the bees in the hive (swarm alert and missing Queen) - as long as a mobile with gateway app goes near downloads the data - hence latest update here:
6D19A1A9-7385-463F-9B4F-978FBCB4967C.png

Well some changes since the last update…

During hive inspection a Queen cell nearly capped was discovered - only a single one oddly.

So I did an artificial swarm into the Poly NUC I received the colony in (Queen heading home) so although earlier than planned now have 2 hives (although one is a NUC).

Can see the photos below - used a gazebo as weather threatened rain and a more experienced beek to assist.
E917A72F-E4D0-44CE-A385-230B3F67F5F3.jpeg77D28494-A8FB-41F5-9C7E-5B0394416782.jpegC9D9FC5D-1DC5-458D-AFDF-7AF5B21A31B3.jpegView attachment IMG_3430.MOV

So the Queen should be emerging any day now (if not already) so in the lull between inspections on the main hive - due a second inspection on NUC today or tomorrow (weather permitting).

I have another 14 x 12 maisiemore brood, stand, Queen excluder so only need a floor and roof for a full second hive (have a super already and can add more as needed) - planning on overwintering in NUC and transfer into full hive in spring, believe they should overwinter as smaller colony in a poly nuc better than larger hive.

So ironically have managed to get 2 hives from swarm control - just a year earlier than initially planned 🤣

For those wondering Queen cell discovered on inspection on Sunday 5th July, and artificial split done the evening of Monday 6th - Figure capping cell would be occurring either next day or two so Queen should be emerging/emerged and possibly mating flight from next few days onwards.

596157E5-CA22-4ACA-B76E-D430B787DA8A.jpeg97B721FD-CAAA-4D3B-A748-2EF175B3BB53.jpeg90DDAD75-C947-4E58-BC67-51F649DA457D.jpegB7ADD402-BCDD-45E4-AA71-80182D6F5A7C.jpeg

and a more experienced beek to assist
That's very generous of you, I've had my bees, what, 2 weeks longer than you? I only spotted the queen cell in your inspection video because I was being hyper vigilant after I failed to spot them in my colony and they swarmed!

I'm fairly sure it was a supercedure attempt, given that it was just the one cell on the edge of the brood nest, so they probably wouldn't have swarmed on it. Still a good idea to do the split though in case the new queen fails to get mated. If it was supercedure then keep an eye on the nuc with the queen as they might try to get rid of her again.

That's very generous of you, I've had my bees, what, 2 weeks longer than you? I only spotted the queen cell in your inspection video because I was being hyper vigilant after I failed to spot them in my colony and they swarmed!

I'm fairly sure it was a supercedure attempt, given that it was just the one cell on the edge of the brood nest, so they probably wouldn't have swarmed on it. Still a good idea to do the split though in case the new queen fails to get mated. If it was supercedure then keep an eye on the nuc with the queen as they might try to get rid of her again.
Will be inspecting either this evening or tomorrow (week since last inspection).

Will send you the photos.

Alex

Well done guys, jobs are so much easier with friend helping, though you still tend to take as long through chatting ;)

Well done guys, jobs are so much easier with friend helping, though you still tend to take as long through chatting ;)
Good for my confidence and very much appreciated.
The old Queen seems happy to be back into NUC and orientation flights every couple of days - with the wet weather down south I have been feeding light syrup - although will pause now until inspection tomorrow to check if starting to store in brood frames and if so stop - certainly lots of pollen being collected by the foragers.

I waited to attend the local association course before ordering anything so didn’t go in blind and was comfortable handling the ladies. In terms of the 14 x 12 was after having a chat with the experts who said although I could run a brood and a half hive it effectively doubles the number of frames to check, and so have recommended the larger size for starting.

I will have another chat this weekend with them about running a single hive, I’m aware it means I would be lacking the ability to compare between hives, and to easily requeen (transferring brood frame from healthy hive) - it’s one of domestic restrictions at the minute in addition to not having ordered anything until after lessons so I might be able to get one NUC of local bees, 2 is extremely unlikely, realise could artificially swarm but danger is would end up trying to overwinter two weak hives rather than one healthier hive, although do agree two hives would be ideal and if opportunity arises may grab a poly 14x12 National as a second hive.
2nd mistake, 1st lesson, every beekeeper is an expert 😊😊 I hope it goes well for you, listen and watch your bees, they are sensitive and will tell you when your are not doing things well, enjoy :)

Latest posts

Back