Newbie Dadant questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dadant frames

the french seem to provide frames pre-drilled for horizontal wiring. when i showed my italian neighbour he suggested re-drilling for vertical wiring as it allows the foundation to "hang" horizontal better without "waves".

as well as castellated spacers the french also seem to like lower frame support/spacing wires. doesn't that make safe lifting of frames even more difficult that just using top castellations like everyone does here in italy?

A newbee friend of mine started with two Dadant colonies - in at the deep end - the first thing we did was change the castelated spacers for plain rails and removed the bottom spacing staples:coolgleamA:

Frames available locally are drilled vertically or horizontally buyers choice. Hofman frame converters from Tho***s solved the spacing.:seeya:

There was me thinking that the Dadant frames we use in the UK are the same as the Dadant frames used in France/Italy. Dadant frames in the UK have a 19" (exactly) top bar.

Last edited:
The frames aren't wired but are drilled for vertical wires. I haven't seen the metal inserts. I have already wired them without but they dont look like they will be a problem or do they get worse in time.
I have put the lower guides in as the ones in the shop had them, I basically just copied it :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back