Newbie but have been put-off :-(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know its a bit bizarre but a copy of thornes catalogue will explain much in the way of hive and equipment.

baggy

just one last stupid question -

Its all very well having a full bee suit, gloves and wellies....

but whats to stop them falling down the gap at the top of the wellies and down your leg. Ewe!!

Dont tuck your trouser legs in your wellies. Put them over your wellies and tie them up, or use and elastic band etc. Cycle clips.

Unlikely to happen, and if one does, she will walk up, rather than down

Yes you are right about the books and i have several on order from the library right now......

Here is a copy (taken from another thread) of a list of books I found useful:

If you like books, I'd recommend a little reading through the winter, I subscribe to Bee Craft and would recommend the following books:

Bees at the bottom of the garden A nice simple guide

Practical Beekeeping A good down to earth practical guide

Ted Hooper's Guide to bees and honey the classic text but may be a little dry and technical for some.

And at the moment I am reading Keeping Healthy Honey Bees again quite deep but very good.

Your local library will probably have most of these so you can 'try before you buy' and if you like them shop around for the best prices.

Oh and another great little book I found on eb*y for about £3 was Bees and Beekeeping by Irmgard Diemer.

but whats to stop them falling down the gap at the top of the wellies and down your leg. Ewe!!

I don't have a gap between suit and wellies when I tuck the suit in. Perhaps I have fat legs and thin wellies?
Cazza

I don't have a gap between suit and wellies when I tuck the suit in. Perhaps I have fat legs and thin wellies?
Cazza

The correct term is "Designer" Wellies.

the bee-suit will probably fill any gaps between wellies and suit, anyway, bees walk up, not down

Not Always:(

I finished up jumping around like a demented morris dancer when dealing with a colony from hell last season - multiple stings on both ankles.

erm, that was the wrong thing to say . . . . .

No point in being less than honest. He is still a beekeeper. It can happen. Not often, unless one is a slow learner!

Regards, RAB

I can tell you where the leather slapping Germanic dance comes from...

think not enough smoke............. bee haus... (the REAL one not the o***** nonsense) and ouchies.....

Oh for a camera...

PH

I can tell you where the leather slapping Germanic dance comes from...

think not enough smoke............. bee haus... (the REAL one not the o***** nonsense) and ouchies.....

Oh for a camera...

PH

Up here they call it the highland fling.Kilts are no good for beekeeping ,wellies or no wellies. bee-smillie bee-smillie bee-smillie

erm, that was the wrong thing to say . . . . . :svengo:
:leaving:

I have a friend who does his beekeeping in shorts and sandals. (and a T-Shirt). He does, however wrap an apology for a veil round his head, although I have doubts on it's effectiveness.

Adam

I can't quite work out if he's brave or daft!

erm, that was the wrong thing to say . . . . . :svengo:
:leaving:

I'm not quite sure what you mean - my point was in reply to a statement that bees crawl upwards - they do not ALWAYS crawl upwards as I discovered when half a dozen or so crawled down my wellies and nailed me on the ankles.

My Beesuit has elasticated bottoms on the legs so will not fit over my wellies so I now wear "sailing" wellies - the ones with a tied gaiter to keep water (and bees) from getting in the top:)

MJBee,

so will not fit over my wellies

You must look a dandy (or not, as the case may be), with your bee suit up around your knees?

Regards, RAB

I admit to making the mistake of feeling protected just wearing a beeking jacket / hood. I had no problems at all wearing trainers and trousers until the one time I didn't look at my feet before moving away from a hive, I then had a couple of bees inside my trousers!
I learnt from the mistake and always tuck my trousers into my socks after that.

On the subject of beekeeping with little protection I was amazed to watch one of the videos on the iwf site where the beekeepers only protection seemed to be a hat!
Ok it was a very old video about bee farming with skeps and how they caught the swarms but still!

In case anyone wanted to watch the video

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back