Newbeek question 2 of 2: A swift end?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
We live up a hill. There's often a layer of dust, dirt and midgies at around the level of our house. This encourages lots (and I mean LOTS) of swifts/swallows/house martins - not sure which.

The question is: are these birds a threat to our bees or do birds know that bees will sting them and just eat mossies and stuff?

Just like to know really . . .

The question is: are these birds a threat to our bees or do birds know that bees will sting them

The bees don't get a chance to sting them. They're not called Swifts for nothing. If you've a healthy colony it shouldn't be a problem, unless you ever have a virgin queen out on a mating flight...

Steve J.

quick response to that is yes, they are at risk, but I also encourage them to nest around our house. There aren't many predators that focus on bees in the UK (at least feathered ones anyway) and they have always had to deal with house martins/swallows/swifts.

Have a nice stagnant puddle that breeds lots of midges and then they will go for the easy meal every time is my suggestion !

Thanks for the answers. I'll put my shotgun away for the moment . . .

(Only joking about the shotgun, kids. No birds were harmed in the making of this post!)

Not even pigeons!! They are my exception to the rule

We have a colony with swifts nearby and they do pick off quite a few bees - but colony still strong

Late in the season now. Won't these birds soon be winging off to far away places?

And pigeons? They don't eat bees, do they? Better watch out for the Canada geese coming down from the north!

Regards, RAB

Back