Newbee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
Good evening, I'm new to the forum and am in my first Winter keeping bees. Living in Somerset, with one colony of Buckfasts bought from within Somerset. I've been on a real learning curve ever since - trying to divide fact from fiction and navigate the numerous opinions on any given subject. I've joined the forum to gather a few more!

- trying to divide fact from fiction and navigate the numerous opinions on any given subject. I've joined the forum to gather a few more!

Welcome to the forum, Poot, you have just entered the "Twilight zone" in that regard.

Good evening, I'm new to the forum and am in my first Winter keeping bees. Living in Somerset, with one colony of Buckfasts bought from within Somerset. I've been on a real learning curve ever since - trying to divide fact from fiction and navigate the numerous opinions on any given subject. I've joined the forum to gather a few more!

Welcome! The forum provides a measure of interactivity - so you can compare your misunderstandings with everyone else's! :)

The fact/fiction boundary is a bit blurred because there can be multiple responses to the same problem/task. What works best is always good for a 'discussion'. The thing to watch out for is advice that assumes you are 'coming from the same place' as the advisor. You might actually have completely different targets, resources, skills, whatever.
Different advice to different people with superficially similar concerns isn't inconsistency, it is (hopefully) advice being tailored to the recipient.

Anyway, welcome, use the search functions a lot and never be afraid to ask about any posts that you can't understand despite a bit of research!
The proverb has it that there are no stupid questions, just sometimes stupid answers. Well, thats what the proverb says anyway. :)

Welcome. Lot to take in. Assume you have joined the local BKA and registered on Beebase?

:welcome: A wealth of info on here, you just need to decide whose advice you are going to take - always somebody willing to help.

Enjoy your bees.

Thank you all - that's welcoming and reassuring. The scary thing is that each colony is in a unique situation, so advice is not always relevant, so there's a real personal responsibility. It stimulates the old grey matter to try to come to the correct course of action when there is no experience to guide you!

The fine details do differ from one colony to another, but 'the big picture' is usually fairly clear. Don't always think "my bees are different" - they may be, but only rarely!

And my suggestion for accelerating your learning and gaining experience faster is to get your eyes (and if possible your hands) into as many OTHER colonies as you possibly can.
Of course go to local association events and demonstrations, but also visit your neighbouring beeks and compare your colonies to theirs. Have they got as much brood? As much pollen? And honey/stores? How clean are the combs? What's the frame spacing in the supers? Where did they get that foundation? Do you agree on what a dummy board should be and how it should be used? Don't forget the big question - "why do you do it that particular way?"
Seeing for yourself how others do stuff is incredibly valuable. (Even if you think they are doing something sub-optimally, you are comparing what you do against what you see - you have more points of reference.) How would you have approached that situation differently?
Thinking of other folks' situations as being a testing ground for your own understanding, in effect gives you many more colonies to learn from.
Get out there, put yourself about a bit. Effort there will allow you to gain massively more experience than you can get from your own colony - so that understanding your own bees comes that much more easily.

But you should aim to get to two colonies of your own. (The bees will help in a couple of months time!) Two colonies is sustainable and requires a real dedication to foolishness or carelessness to wipe out, whereas a single colony is distinctly vulnerable. But, as I said, the bees will almost certainly be trying to make increase this year - your task is to keep ahead of them!
As the Red Queen said (in Alice through the Looking Glass), you'll have to run much faster to actually get anywhere!

Last edited:

Welcome. There's lots of information in here but do maintain a high degree of cynicism to some of it :)
If it sounds illogical it's probably wrong (but not always)

Latest posts

Back