Newbee shopping list

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must just be my bees that completely ignore a spray of water. I've tried it a few times but found it barely encourages a handful of bees to move.
I just stick to the smoker, if I need it, but I have to admit, I think buying any kind of smoker fuel is exactly like burning money! There are so many options for good free smoker fuel, why buy anything?

Must just be my bees that completely ignore a spray of water. I've tried it a few times but found it barely encourages a handful of bees to move.
I just stick to the smoker, if I need it, but I have to admit, I think buying any kind of smoker fuel is exactly like burning money! There are so many options for good free smoker fuel, why buy anything?
You are right there is a lot of free stuff that can be used, if you want reliable smoke then the fuel needs to be of a measured energy, I like my smoker to stay alight.

You are right there is a lot of free stuff that can be used, if you want reliable smoke then the fuel needs to be of a measured energy, I like my smoker to stay alight.
I guess it depends what fuel you use, but personally I have no problem with my smoker staying alight or reliably producing nice cool white smoke using the free stuff! I'm sure with a lot more hives its a different story and its quicker and easier to just use fuel pellets etc. but for a beekeeper with only a handful of hives it seems an unnecessary expense.

Depends what you use the brush for. I find it handy for removing a few stragglers from supers. I've never tried it for brushing bees off a frame.
quickly gets clogged with honey and agitated bees. you can gently brush them off with your hand.

Latest posts

Back