newbee question no1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
took delivery of my 2 nationals today build quality is not great but im know chippie so should not shout too much,the first thing i noticed was that the sections just sit on top of each other,is this correct,also the entrace is level with the wire mesh floor is that suppose too be like that as well.
thanx mark s

Shame about build quality. Maybe buy the next ones from Hivmeaker? Everyone says his are fab.

Yes the boxes just sit on top of each other and yes the entrance is level with the floor - then they don't have to pull out rubbish and dead bees up hill.:)

hi all
took delivery of my 2 nationals today build quality is not great but im know chippie so should not shout too much,the first thing i noticed was that the sections just sit on top of each other,is this correct,also the entrace is level with the wire mesh floor is that suppose too be like that as well.
thanx mark s

any pics?

Jez

ill get pics up shortly jezd:)
thanx polyanwood:)

here we go hope this works

100_2207.jpg

100_2208.jpg

you cant see the bad bits but maybe im being picky

I have seen a lot worse beleive me. I am finicky and as a rule dont use nails but prefer brass or galvanised screws. I note a few nails appear to be missing but dont try to remedy this with the bees in there.

hi hedgerow
am i allowed too say on the forum who i bought them off??

hi sherwood
i think a nail gun was used on these hives as a few of them were sticking out of the supers,1 stabbed me in the finger so was not pleased,most of the bad stuff is inside where the frames sit totally uneven so ill have too get a chiesel to them too level them up a bit,but i suppose you pay for wot you get and they were cheap, so lesson learnt there

100_2207.jpg

100_2208.jpg

Looks like you got it from the same guy as me! I recognise the same address label:svengo: I had a hole in the side of my super where a knot had come out!!

Oh well we live and learn

I think you are being a bit picky :) I have bought the same hives (several) and with an extra layer of treatment they are fine for the price. One fact I have learnt in beekeeping is the phrase 'the bees dont care, they will love whatever you give them' and I feel as a general rule this is very true.

I like these hives, they do the job.

Jez

Broken Linkything above,I tried to fix it but have no idea what it should be.

Mark,what part of the island are you from ?

The ones I bought from Maisemore were worse that that. I had to learn to use tools I didn't even know the name of. I don't like to look of the rooves much though.

Latest posts

Back