Newbee need a favour Leicester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ando

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Bit embarrassing to ask this question, but I went to see my bro-in-law near lands ends at the weekend and left my smoker down there, I am picking up my first bees on Sunday and wondered if anyone had a spare smoker they would be prepared to lend me until mine get posted back up here?

I will pay for the pleasure and leave a deposit.

Cheers

Mark.

My first thought was you can probably rig up a temporary smoker for a single use, that Condor moment :) Maybe people have tried making a temporary smoker already and can tell us what they did.

Then I thought:
I am picking up my first bees on Sunday

What are you picking up exactly? What manipulations will you be doing?

Borrowing a real smoker is too easy ;-)

Hi GTB

Yes I have been thinking of ways to make a smoker, not come up with any as of yet the other problem I have is time as I have loads on before I get the bees so Borrowing one seems to be the easiest way about it. I am really annoyed that I forgot to bring it home.

I'm picking up 2 nucs, so have to transfer them to the hives.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Ando,
If your really stuck and want to pay postage I have a spare smoker you can borrow. I can get it in post for next day delivery. PM me A.S.A.P if you need it

Hi Ando,

Royal Mail special delivery is your friend, can't you get you brother in law to send it special? It’s a next day service and the even guarantee Saturday delivery now for an extra £2!

If you have a local bee "bits" supplier nearby, you could always get some liquid smoke, and a cheap plastic sprayer bottle from a hardware shop.

Never used it myself, but any port in a storm.......

John

Last edited:
Many times , you dont need a smoker.
A towel and patience and bees will go down into a hive without smoke - just lay the towel over the box for bees to retreat.- if you have nice bees....

I know you should always have a smoker handy, but so many times I see great guffs of smoke belched into a hive, when a towel would have exactly the same effect.
Just a thought:)

Thanks for all the very kind offers, got my Bro-in-law sending me it up and if it doesn't arrive will give the towel thing a go, can anyone give me a bit more detail on how to go about doing it with the towels?

Cheers

Mark

Latest posts

Back