NewBee in Kettering, Northants

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlipiBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello all

After being a big bee fan for most of my life I've finally taken the plunge into Beekeeping!

I have a small piece of land in an overgorwn area which was aquired earlier this year prompting real plans to take up beekeeping.

Over the weekend I got 2 Langstroth hives and what seems to be all the equipment I need. Just need Bees now!

What I am keen to ask for are local beekeepers who would be willing to give advice and perhaps some assistance in some of my first practical experiences.

I'm also after Bees of course! - Any help here also appreciated. Although I have done some hunting and have found suppliers, advice on Nucs and boxes of bees options and bee types would be valuable. I'll probably only want to colonate one hive initially.

So hello, glad I have found you and I look forward to chatting about and developing bee knowledge!

Stef

Your local association would be a good place to start - they will have local members, and plenty to talk about on long winter evenings.... They might even have bees for new members, but given recent demand, this may not be possible.

We started this year and got nucs from Easy Bees - the whole process worked well. The thing to check (apart from the reputation of the supplier for providing calm and healthy bees) is that the frames will be right for your hives.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Have tried to contact my local Northants association with no joy as yet (I am a bit impatient of course!) so hope, when I do, more advice will flow.

I have all the frames etc, is it any different to get a box of bees instead of a nuc? Advantages/disadvantages? Boxes seem cheaper which is an attraction and most nucs come on frames other than Langstroth.

Hi BlipiBee
I am quite local to you (as are others) and work out of Kettering. The Northants association are very helpful and run a course starting just after Christmas - so try and squeeze on to it if you can as it is very useful for beginners and will also provide support. Happy to help just PM me.
Good Luck

Mark

Sweet! Good to hear from you Mark!

I have the number of Jean White (sp?), just not managed to catch her yet.

Deffo wish to attend courses and I think am getting too keen and excited at the moment! Hope to catch Jean (and eventually get a reply from the email sent to general enquiries a few days ago) and involve myself with the local group soon.

I'll keep your details handy for future reference.

I have all the frames etc, is it any different to get a box of bees instead of a nuc?

Yes, these are package bees - simply box of bees, just like a swarm. No frames, so no brood and no stores. I've never used this approach, no doubt someone will spill the beans...

As you are begginer I think a nuc would be more suitable than a package of bees. Package bees have no brood with them which means you will have to wait about a month before you get any brood hatching. Where as a nuc will have brood at all stages, which will give you something to look at when opening them up. A nuc will allready have a proven laying queen as well.
Nowt wrong with packages but not really suited to beginners IMO.
:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back