Newbee for New forest Southampton.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi all,
I'm Lee, i live in Blackfield, Southampton. Just inside the new forest.
I'm still doing my homework and hoping to be set up ready for next year.
I was thinking of keeping a hive in my garden but now I'm not so sure. I'm looking for a small bit of land.
all hints and tip very welcome.

Sorry, forgot to say that i have just applied to the New Forest & District Beekeepers Association.

Thanks.
Lee.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm Lee, i live in Blackfield, Southampton. Just inside the new forest.
I'm still doing my homework and hoping to be set up ready for next year.
I was thinking of keeping a hive in my garden but now I'm not so sure. I'm looking for a small bit of land.
all hints and tip very welcome.

Thanks.
Lee.
Welcome Lee, there are a few good beekeeping associations around you .. check out the BBKA website ...join one and get some hands on experience before you take the plunge. They normally run beginners courses early in the year, finishing around now, so you've probably missed out this year but it gives you a good bit of time to learn a bit, buy some kit and get alongside someone else's bees. There will be a good few beekeepers in the area taking their bees to the heather and someone might appreciate another pair of hands.

There's a few books which will help you on your journey - Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion will give you a flavour of what the craft is all about - very readable. If you want a bit more then the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will get you through the first couple of seasons.

Good luck on your beekeeping journey ... lots to read on here in the back catalogue - lots of stuff you won't find in the books as well.

Hello and welcome.
As you have time before actually having bees I suggest you take a good long leisurely look around for the best possible apiary site (and what makes a good site). When you find a good spot find out who the landowner is and approach them directly.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.
I'm trying to think what the best way of approaching someone for the use of some land?
I've been driving around and looking on google earth and found some great places.

I'm trying to think what the best way of approaching someone for the use of some land?
knock on doors, politely ask
A good idea to identify the spot you fancy before asking, although sometimes they might offer you something even better as an alternative.

Welcome Lee, there are a few good beekeeping associations around you .. check out the BBKA website ...join one and get some hands on experience before you take the plunge. They normally run beginners courses early in the year, finishing around now, so you've probably missed out this year but it gives you a good bit of time to learn a bit, buy some kit and get alongside someone else's bees. There will be a good few beekeepers in the area taking their bees to the heather and someone might appreciate another pair of hands.

There's a few books which will help you on your journey - Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion will give you a flavour of what the craft is all about - very readable. If you want a bit more then the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping will get you through the first couple of seasons.

Good luck on your beekeeping journey ... lots to read on here in the back catalogue - lots of stuff you won't find in the books as well.

Thanks very much for the advice.
I will definitely look at the books suggested .
Lee.

If there's a local facebook group (when isn't there?) or similar it might be worth posting on that asking if anyone has space for some hives or knows someone who might be interested?

James

What would you offer in return?
To keep good-tempered bees.
Belong to an Association and show your PLI.
Take your Basic Assessment (or suggest that you intend to).
Give 1lb of honey per hive per year as tradition dictates, but wise to give more.
Have a back-up beekeeper in case you're ill.

Give 1lb of honey per hive per year as tradition dictates, but wise to give more.
That's really helpful, thank you.

Has this worked for you in the past?
I just don't want to come across rude?
What would you offer in return?

Thanks.
A jar of honey per hive though many beekeepers give a little more
Local Facebook is good too as is your local association. Many BKAs have members who don’t themselves keep bees but offer land.
Welcome from me too.

I'd agree with1, maybe 2 and 4 - little else or instead of 2 join the BBKA as an individual member - it's only worth it for the insurance anyway

Back