newbee after advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox403

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all,,, ok set up my hive at the end of august hoping with luck I might have gained a late swarm as I no I have a wild colony about 200 yards away so I put plenty sugar out for them which got them interested had 100 plus checking the hive out but they didn’t take residence :( ... so my plan isss for next march I’m going stick out 3-4 bait hives ...one I place up a tree were I saw them swarm to last year (as I heard they sometime return to same spots ?) next ill take down by the river a load start early year feeding... now next one I was thinking of putting just outside from where the wild colony are hoping they will might move in,,,u guys with lots hives next to each other what’s the % if u had an empty hive next to productive hives that they will move in ? cheers james

just get your name on a local swarm list.......:)

iv orderd sum lemon grass and i do have sum old frames so its up to the bees now its just a long wait till next year!! brosvile i want these native bees if possible ,,the bees in the old wall garden were mentioned in a book going back well over hundred years ago so seems same family have lived high up in this south faceing wall all this time id love to get a swarm from them,,,:willy_nilly:

iv orderd sum lemon grass and i do have sum old frames so its up to the bees now its just a long wait till next year!! brosvile i want these native bees if possible ,,the bees in the old wall garden were mentioned in a book going back well over hundred years ago so seems same family have lived high up in this south faceing wall all this time id love to get a swarm from them,,,:willy_nilly:

interesting to see their varroa count and their wing discoild shift

the bait box you put by the wall will more likely only attract other bees that can smell of the old feral colony in the wall (the scout bees will come to see if the wall nest is empty)

To attract the wall colony, your bait hives are better 100 to 200 yds away, also rub some lemon oil on the branch were they swarmed last time and catched them from the branch (hope you have a suit and smoker though :biggrinjester:)

orderd my suit from poland arrives this week! smoker will pick up over winter it should be cheaper by few quid ( im tight) hopefully they will swarm a bit lower down tree i had to get my binocs see them last time :) thanks for the tips guys

Back