• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New zealand Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
New zealand Bees what strain of Bees are these from? I have Carnolian Bees and compared to my friends Bees who has New zealand bees these look very similar. :confused:

That's odd. New Zealand bees are usually Italian and look nothing like carniolans.

Dil

these are my NZ girls. anything like this ?

Yes yours are more yellower than mine, may be they are more of a European/ mediterainian strain.

Wouldnt mind a queen of an N Z Bee to build up a Colony for next year. I hear they are very docile

I suggest some reading Nopants.

The pure ones are yes. Very docile and I would add dozy in cool weather. Idle in fact.

When crossed they get cross. Verra cross.

Grizzly? you need a dummy in there. ;)

PH

Well I heard Italian Bees were nasty with stinging , So the N Z strain is obviously a mixed bag.

My NZ bees are even fairer and more yellow than that wiht less visible stripes.

It seems to me that most races of bee if left a couple of generations of unselected mating go aggressive. I don't think Italians will be that different from the NZ bees, to whom I thought they were closely related???

My NZ bees are even fairer and more yellow than that wiht less visible stripes.

It seems to me that most races of bee if left a couple of generations of unselected mating go aggressive. I don't think Italians will be that different from the NZ bees, to whom I thought they were closely related???

Most NZ bees are italian.

Nice picture Grizzly, are they trying to tell you they want more room??

Nah, they are ok, i left the dummy board out of the super, which left a gap, i still have that comb on display in my lounge. great for showing guests, and they are always amazed when they are told its all the bees work.

And PH, you may well be right.

Back