New Years Eve!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have to say I was surprised to find this little girl from my hive happy on the coronella after a night down to minus 2.
Hope everyone has a bountiful New Year with lots of honey.

For the past 2 months, i've been having a spoonfull in a glass of beer most nights..... including tonight.

Cheers all............ and ladies of my hives.

Best wishes to everybody and their bees.

I'll settle for a year thats better for me than 2014 has been.

For all you beekeeping First Footers ...

"Old Year out, New Year in ... please will you let the lucky BEE in ..."

(Perhaps a jar of honey rather than a lump of coal in return for the traditional wee dram ...)

Happy New Year everyone ...

Happy New year beekeeping forum friends - thanks for putting up with another year of silly questions and giving me such good advice
:party:

(Perhaps a jar of honey rather than a lump of coal in return for the traditional wee dram ...)

its a piece of food AND the coal...

its a piece of food AND the coal... symbolising good luck in food and warmth

so perhaps

honey and Recticel :)

Happy new year to you and yours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-foot

More!

The first-foot usually brings several gifts, including perhaps a coin (silver is considered good luck), bread, salt, coal, or a drink (usually whisky), which represent financial prosperity, food, flavour, warmth, and good cheer respectively

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-foot

More!

The first-foot usually brings several gifts, including perhaps a coin (silver is considered good luck), bread, salt, coal, or a drink (usually whisky), which represent financial prosperity, food, flavour, warmth, and good cheer respectively

I' was just remembering what my father was shoved out the door with... I forgot the drink...
Drink food and coal... is what i now do.
Down here in the heathen South I will be the only one in the entire street.
Aah the days when each house had laid on a spread for the first footers...

But then I'm from the "Keen wolfs meadow" in the north

I'm with you DerekM. I suspect I will also be the only one doing first footings here. Whatever you are supposed to take out and bring in, lets hope for a low varroa and nil shb year in 2015.
Cheers All...mines an Edradour

We sing the new year in here in Wales - a tradition that's dying out fast, when I was a kid I could earn more in one night (and early morning new year's day) than my father could on a good week on the buildings.
There'd be groups of us boys (girls frowned upon as being bad luck - same with light or ginger:eek: hair) targetting the hot spots first (house parties were a goldmine if you could get there bang on midnight, then pubs and clubs). In fact, I don't remember any Christmas carol singers - just the new year singing.
The only ones who do it now are my late cousin Alun's sister's family (anything for a bit of cash) Alun and I were the top earning singers, other lads would kill to be invited to accompany us! but it's not right her kids are twins. blond and ugly (and one's a girl!!)

Latest posts

Back