new to the forum

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderbird

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just to say hello and introduce myself,my name is steve and i did beekeeping at school some 35 years ago its something i have wanted to get back into for a long time, i purchased some hives from a farm sale last year which i am renovating/cleaning ready to start out in the new year. any advise gratefully received

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum - you've certainly come to the right place. Lots of knowedgeable souls offering advice (often conflicting), a real help to us newbeeks.

Standard advice offered to new starters is a) get reading (Hooper is the text favoured by most it seems) b) joing a local BKA, c) get on a course if you can

But you will get loads of knowledge just reading threads here

hive leaks

my one tip would be to get in touch with your local beekeeping association branch - there are several. they'll be a good bet for a swarm in late spring/early summer.

WILTSHIRE
Kennet (Calne)
Melksham
Salisbury
Swindon
West Wiltshire

Ruth Woodhouse, Sandridge Tower, Bromham, Chippenham, SN15 2JN 01225 705382

Welcome - glad you can start on your own - so much Fun/frustration/fascination! This forum is great for help and advice - if in doubt use the search page - it usually finds something relevent, and if not...ASK! :)

thanks for the reply,s i can see your an active forumbee-smillie i do intend to join the local beekeeping clubbee-smillie

thunderbird,

Welcome to the forum. Now, what school had hives back then? I know of one near me that had them for a long time, but stopped about 4 years ago, when the teacher involved came to retirement. They are attempting to reinstate one or two hives - but it was easier to keep them going, than starting afresh!

Monsieur Abeille says 'conflicting', I would rather describe them as alternatives, complementary, if not down-right contradictory!

My tip would be to PM one of the Wiltshire 'mob' already here. Beebreeder, Somerfordsteve or peteinwilts come to mind. You may be close enough to one of them for some practical help, if needed.

Regards, RAB

Welcome Steve, you prior experience is already standing you in good stead having purchased kit last season for a start this coming spring!

As you've already discovered, if you place 6 beeks in a room and ask a question you'll get 7 answers, this forum tends to abide strictly to that rule :)

Just to prove the point I would recomend A PRACTICAL MANUAL OF BEEKEEPING by David Cramp as a more up to date and a more accessible text than Hooper, which I would come back to having gained some experience. Hooper is still one of the definitive references available though.

Good luck. R

Last edited:
Hello Steve

You probably know this already but make sure you give these hives a good scorching to get rid of any disease that may be lurking in/on them.

oliver, it was a boarding school in devizes,the then woodworking teacher was also a beekeeper and we had several hives set up within the school grounds he used to run an after school beekeeping club for those interested,i do have fond memories of managing the bees i also accommpanied the teacher on swarm collections in the local area (todays health and safety would probably prevent such activitys in school) thanks for the other reply,s will look into the book recomendations. somerfordsteve well that does sound close to me infact it was a somerford farm sale my hives came frombee-smillie will pm in due coursebee-smillie

Hello Steve

You probably know this already but make sure you give these hives a good scorching to get rid of any disease that may be lurking in/on them.

thanks peterS i do intend to scorch the insides but was intending to try and salvage some of the frames if i can dismantle and treat these before fitting new foundationsbee-smillie

oliver, it was a boarding school in devizes,the then woodworking teacher was also a beekeeper and we had several hives set up within the school grounds he used to run an after school beekeeping club for those interested,i do have fond memories of managing the bees i also accommpanied the teacher on swarm collections in the local area (todays health and safety would probably prevent such activitys in school) thanks for the other reply,s will look into the book recomendations. somerfordsteve well that does sound close to me infact it was a somerford farm sale my hives came frombee-smillie will pm in due coursebee-smillie

Hi and welcome.
I'm a school teacher and this year I asked if I could put hives in a very safe place in the school grounds and run a beekeeping club.

I was asked in the risk assessment to calculate how many bees would be on the school fields per acre!

Risk of swarming
risk of stings
risk of anaphylactic shock
Then get governers approval
Then get local Authority approval of the risk assessment.
I too was introduced to beekeeping by a teacher when I was at school.
Back then, If you got stung by the school bees you were laughed at!

This health and safety has gone too far. Sad loss to our youngsters!

Cliff

Hi and welcome.
I'm a school teacher and this year I asked if I could put hives in a very safe place in the school grounds and run a beekeeping club.

I was asked in the risk assessment to calculate how many bees would be on the school fields per acre!

Risk of swarming
risk of stings
risk of anaphylactic shock
Then get governers approval
Then get local Authority approval of the risk assessment.
I too was introduced to beekeeping by a teacher when I was at school.
Back then, If you got stung by the school bees you were laughed at!

This health and safety has gone too far. Sad loss to our youngsters!

Cliff

that is such a shame Cliff but i suspected as much,my 12 year old son has shown a real interest in beekeeping which is another good reason to start againbee-smillie

A monk @ my school kept 10-20 hives in the grounds. He gave it all up last year (annoyingly the year that I arrived:banghead:). Thankfully a new teacher has set up an environmental group that have decided to re-start the bees in a field that the school own. I have alrady been drafted in... 3 other beeks in my year group (y11) as well...

Ben P

Back