New to Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello I am a new Beekeeping and would like some advice.

I would like to get some Bee's for the very first time, could you please give me advice as to where I should get them from?

Thanks.

You dont say what area you are in... Google- and find your nearest bee Assoc - and join it. Lots of help and advice will be given freely.

Please don't get bees without some research as to where you will keep them, if the area suitable. Cost is a bigger issue than first realised. Quite expensive for the first couple of years.

It is a great 'hobby/career', don't get me wrong- but please dont just jump in without some knowledge. You will have a responsibility the minute you get them - they are in your care:).
Have fun - and ask away on this forum - no question too basic - we have all asked them before you:grouphug:
Heather

Hello Tristan and welcome to the forum.

Heather has made a good suggestion - find your local beeks association, they often run courses which you will find informative and helpful and of course it will bring you in contact with people who can offer you support in person. There will also be people there who can supply you with nucs, otherwise you can buy from a commercial enterprise, there are members on here who can do that.

:cheers2:

Frisbee

Hi Tristan & Welcome.
It was my first year at keeping bees in 2008, one of the first things i did was go along to a local association to meet other Beekeepers, i read lots and lots of books over the winter 2007 into 2008. Looked on the Internet for further websites to read about bees.

I also looked into the equipment required, making sure i had all the basic components i would need, and had this set up and ready, once i found my first "Out Apiary. (Again the web searches were invaluable).

At this point i had not even asked for Bees, but after 2 or 3 meetings, i had offers of Bees from members of the local association, the hardest part of all this was the waiting, and i think my first lot arrived end of April.

Good Luck & Keep us posted on your progress.

Andy

Definately join your local association, Some of which run a "free bees scheme" you will soon find out there is no such thing as free but it can be a real help. My local assoc basically requires a 2 year commitment to membership and in return lay on a variety of tutors to assist during those 2 years along with a free "nuc" of bees and loan of hives etc. This allows you to decide if beekeeping is for you without laying out a pot of money to start with.
I for one very quickly became hooked by this fascinating hobby we have all chosen.

Welcome aboard

David

Latest posts

Back