New to beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beezwacks

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello, my name is Neil and am new to beekeeping ( havent any as yet, more homework to do).
I have been bee curious for a long time, actually since childhood when we were lucky enough to have a swarm take residence in an old packing crate in the garden, I can still remember the taste of my first wild honey.
And last last year it was reawakened by a beekeeper on our allotment site, so not to rush into things was mulled over for a year before taking it seriously to the next level.
I am a keen hobbyist of woodworking so I will be making my own hives, and in the meantime doing lots and lots of reading, and hopefully going to the local BKA meetings/lectures to gain the knowledge to start in 2012.

so, I hope to be hanging around for some time reading this forum over the colder months.

Thanks Neil

Welcome to this wonderful, amazing, stressful, relaxing world! Although I came into it in a wonky way, I am so glad I did. I wouldn't be without these creatures now. I must say, your patience will stand you in good staid for when you do get your own bees.

I just know you will find this forum extremely helpful, and I'll see you around here no doubt.

Welcome to the forum and the start of this fascinating craft.

You're doing all the right things to prepare yourself for bees.

Just don't expect to always know and understand everything!
The bees are always teaching us things, however experienced we are!

No doubt your local association or someone on here can help you out with some bees if you wanted.

And on those really dark ays, when you just don't know how to handle them, what you have done wrong, or why you bother - just console yourself in the knowledge that they have been managing perfectly well for millenia, and are porbably robust enough to cope with our incompetence!

And a hearty welcome from me too you have picked the right forum loads of experienced beeks on here inc some good sticky`s and vids.
:seeya:

hello and a warm welcome from me too , enjoy the forum .its good to see you are approaching things in the correct way, as somone said its a learning curve that doesnt always go by the rules . happy beekeeping :)

Welcome beezwacks
youi sound a bit like me as i had thought about of for years beofr finally taking the plunge all of a sudden.

welcome to the forum and I,m sure you will gain lots from here - i certainly have
Phill

Hi Beezwacks, love the name :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the mad world of bees.

Make sure you don't get 'covered in bees'

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo[/ame]

Not seen that one before - suggests another picture for Kaz's charity calendar - Kaz covered in bees - not sure which month though - probably may or june.

Well thankyou all for the warm welcome..
"covered in beeesssssss" as he minces away....lol

on a serious note, although I`m building my own hive(s) and frames, whilst looking on T*****s website I noticed frames are numbered SN1,SN, etc.. you get the idea, now an educated guess suggests these would be sizes.

BTW i`ll be building the national from scottish beekeepers website, or does anyone want to put me straight about hives before I start butchering some wood?

no need for educated guesses - plenty of info on the web about frames.

The letters refer to national super (SN) or national deep ie brood (DN). The numbers refer to the "style" of frame - thickness of side bars etc. The actual "size" of the frame - ie foundation size, top bar length and height of side bar is fixed.

thanks very much DrS, some more trawling through the web is called for..
or maybe build the hive and buy the frames??

Welcome Neil - you'll certainly find this forum a good resource and Winter reading - Good Luck!

BTW i`ll be building the national from scottish beekeepers website, or does anyone want to put me straight about hives before I start butchering some wood?

don't build 'nationals'

go for something bigger as a brood box size, I use 'commercial' brood boxes ( 16 x 10) with 'national' everything else ( all compatible) :leaving:

Well thankyou all for the warm welcome..
"covered in beeesssssss" as he minces away....lol

on a serious note, although I`m building my own hive(s) and frames, whilst looking on T*****s website I noticed frames are numbered SN1,SN, etc.. you get the idea, now an educated guess suggests these would be sizes.

An excellent website for easily readable beehive plans of all kinds is the late great Dave Cushman's site.
Also if (make it when) you get Ted Hooper's book guide to bees and honey - a must read for all beekeepers it's got all the frame dimensions in. The Tho**es website does have a guide to all the frame code they refer to standard national, deep national Hoffman self spacers etc.
Start with Clive de Bruyn definitely get Hoopers book (a bit technical but a great read) and see where you go from there.
Oh, and welcome to the forum - I've only had bees since may and this site has been invaluable (even if it's just for reassurance when you think the world is about to end!!

Latest posts

Back