New to bee keeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am new to beekeeping and I bought I have a second hand bee hive. I am hopeing to get bees next year. Should I get a second super?

Stephen

Icanhopit is right, it is generally accepted that 1 hive of bees = 1 spare hive, 2 hives of bees = 2 spare hives...so double everything. Also if you think you won't need it - believe me...you will!! ;) Also, good-luck and welcome!

I am new to beekeeping and I bought I have a second hand bee hive. I am hopeing to get bees next year. Should I get a second super?

Stephen

it depends on your 1) type of hive, 2)race of bees and 3)when you get them

if it an early May Nucleus of bees and a wbc or standard national then defintely but a July Nucleus of bees in a national 14x12 then i doubt if they will fill the brood

i work on at least 4 supers per hive minimum and for swarm control at least a floor, roof and brood ( or super plus a 70mm eke to convert to a temp brood box)

ok thanks. I live near orchards should the spraying of apple trees affect the bees?

ok thanks. I live near orchards should the spraying of apple trees affect the bees?

yes if it a coddling moth killer, if you know when, block them inin the evening before and the day of spraying plus 12hrs,

if you need a super looking under maisemores clearance sales or Thornes november 29th on line sale

http://www.bees-online.co.uk/clearance.asp

a deal one would do but cedar is better

Last edited:
It will be spraying for blight ect and apple spraying cannot take place while the trees are in blossom. I will maybe get one more super as a spare and see where it goes from there.

Steve

It will be spraying for blight ect and apple spraying cannot take place while the trees are in blossom. I will maybe get one more super as a spare and see where it goes from there.

Steve

fungicide spray for blight, should be too much of a problem

supers , for another £8:50 (£26 compared to £17:50 delivered) i'd get two in the sale, as outside the sale they are nearer £30 plus delivery with VAT at 20%

Thanks must well metro. Sorry did you mean it shoundnt be too much of a problem or will be a problem?

Thanks

Steve

Steve

Need to check what is meant. 'Blight' can mean almost anything, including aphids.

Ha ha very goodI am Portadown. How long have you been beekeeping? I dont know of anyone that keeps bees near me.

Stephen

I spent some time in Bally Kelly long long ago .
I received a telegram whilst on leave " regard this leave as embarkation leave and report to RAF Innsworth".
Contacted Bally Kelly to in form them that I had both military and civilian gear there including a 'Claude Buckler' cycle ! "Don't worry" was the reply, "it will all be forwarded to you ".
Still waiting 54 years later :D

John Wilkinson

John, A few folk i went to school with have had similar experiences having been told their kit would follow them on... best one was a chap who spent time in Belize and was getting a vehicle he bought out there transported home...

Stephen,
You'd be surprised how many beekeepers are about! On a v. quick count there are about 12 beekeepers within a fifteen minute drive of the town that I know of.

Just started with bees this year - always had a bit of an interest and after a discussion with another beek in May I was told i was going to keep bees sooner or later and my first colony arrived in July and the second was collected in August. Been helping a couple of beekeepers since May - all good craic and a great way to learn!

Stephen, I am not sure it has been posted in your thread in black and white terms so here goes.

You do not want to enter your first winter with just the one colony. Despite a beeks best efforts and intentions colonies die over winter. Your prime objective for 2011 is to ensure you emerge in 2012 with at least one established, viable colony.

With that aim, don't just buy a super buy a second basic hive set with the intention of going into winter with 2+ colonies. I would argue that whilst it does not impress friends and family as much as a pot of honey it is nevertheless the most important first year performance criteria and much more so than some honey to show off. Welcome and good luck. R.

Latest posts

Back