New to bee keeping, Ashwater in Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Jinx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Hi

I am new to this and rightly or wrongly will be getting a hive of bees in a couple of weeks time.

I work away from home in the week so only here at weekends. I would like to do a course on bee keeping but all courses are run when I am out of the local area.

I have read a few books but would really like to find some one local that can assist me in my learning.

Any offers?

Peter
:eek:

Peter - you are more likely to get regular weekend apiary meetings now than a formal beginners course. These are still valuable and generally cater well for beginners. You appear to be between Holsworthy and Tavistock branches, and there may also be something over the border in Launceston. Bear in mind that if you join any branch in a county, you are entitled to turn up at meetings at any other branch in the county, so you can pick'n'mix if you wish.

My experience of what is running in the way of training and meetings is mainly of south and east Devon so I can't be too specific. I'd recommend you give Alison Howes a call at Tavistock branch, or Reg Godwin at Holsworthy, and see what is happening. Both their numbers are on the 'contacts' page of the Devon Beekeepers website - google for 'Devon Beekeepers' and it should be the first result.

Hi

I am new to this and rightly or wrongly will be getting a hive of bees in a couple of weeks time.

:eek:

Wrongly I'd have said. How can you manage the bees if you haven't had any training, whether formal or informal?

I don't mean it cannot be done, but I am a kind of person who can take in information from texts, had read six books before I started my course, but would have been lost with a colony approaching it's **** in summer.

And, unfortunately, bees don't always do things neatly at the most convenient time. For us, that is.

Good luck and hopefully you will find a mentor who is prepared to be hands on sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back