New threat to backyard bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeteez

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello all. I would like to bring to the attention of fellow Beekeepers worldwide, the latest threat to the backyard Bee. As I can only speak of the products on sale in Australia, I'm sure they are available worldwide. Although these products have been on sale for some time, I have only now twigged to their potential damage. I am talking about the automatically dispensed insect sprays designed for use outside on the Verandah, Porch, in the Garden etc, which release a fine mist of insecticide at approximately 1/2 hour intervals 24 hours a day, and are marketed primarily for the control of Flies and Mosquito's. Now the problem starts with the fact that these type of insecticides are non discriminative and Backyard Bees would frequent 100's of gardens a day with a high probability of encountering such a device with certain death a result. And that would be the same for any other beneficial insects that enter their vacinity. The other problem is the spray drift. A person unknowingly keeping Bees within close proximity to one of these devices could have their Hives decimated in a couple of Days.

Something to think about!

Hello all. I would like to bring to the attention of fellow Beekeepers worldwide, the latest threat to the backyard Bee. As I can only speak of the products on sale in Australia, I'm sure they are available worldwide. Although these products have been on sale for some time, I have only now twigged to their potential damage. I am talking about the automatically dispensed insect sprays designed for use outside on the Verandah, Porch, in the Garden etc, which release a fine mist of insecticide at approximately 1/2 hour intervals 24 hours a day, and are marketed primarily for the control of Flies and Mosquito's. Now the problem starts with the fact that these type of insecticides are non discriminative and Backyard Bees would frequent 100's of gardens a day with a high probability of encountering such a device with certain death a result. And that would be the same for any other beneficial insects that enter their vacinity. The other problem is the spray drift. A person unknowingly keeping Bees within close proximity to one of these devices could have their Hives decimated in a couple of Days.

Ever been here? Temp over last 2 weeks been down to -14C where I live. Not warm enough here to have a fly problem or to spray flies outdoors in my opinion. Mostly done indoors if at all. Where in Oz are you? Been all over on 3 by 3 month trips and love the people and places. Wish I had taken the £10 pom route back in the sixties. Got cold feet though.

This is a strange Aussie red-herring to distract us from winning the Ashes...

Ben P

Its all those shrimps on barbies that the flies are after.....

Latest posts

Back