New this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Using Commercials, the frames have much shorter lugs than nationals and these always seem to be covered in bees. So I was constantly smoking the frame ends to remove the bees, before picking them up.

This year for the first time, I've learnt to simply plunge my nitriled fingers into the mass of bees and gently feel my way to pick up the frames. Actually I look away or even close my eyes. And lo and behold the waves part and I pick up the frames WITHOUT BEING STUNG. Just thought I'd share this nugget :)

Slow but purposeful movement is the trick. A contented colony of bees is unlikely to wreak revenge unless threatened. You are much less likely to squash bees without sausage fingers. Now, open your eyes and enjoy working your bees on another level!

I've had that déjà vu before...

I have some colonies that tend to have a lot of bees on the frame ends when I inspect and as said you just put your fingers in and they move.
Sometimes when I lift a frame it seems that my hand is half covered in bees that were on the frame end and have walked onto my hand. I just gently let go of the frame with that hand and shake them off.

I have some colonies that tend to have a lot of bees on the frame ends when I inspect and as said you just put your fingers in and they move.
Sometimes when I lift a frame it seems that my hand is half covered in bees that were on the frame end and have walked onto my hand. I just gently let go of the frame with that hand and shake them off.

Yes, it's interesting how genetics can impact on behaviour in the hive. Some of mine go nowhere near the frame rests/lugs during inspection, others cover them and end up wandering onto the hand just like you say Yorkshire. I used to think it was just because of black gloves but they do it on nitriles too.

There are always more bees on the lugs at the front of the hive if you have the frames 'cold' ways. I always loosen and pick the lug at the rear of the hive first as this causes slight movement on the front lug and will cause the bees to disperse slightly making it easier to grasp.

I prefer my bees on the face of comb or out foraging. Others may have a tendency to run around the hive - not a nice trait!

I prefer my bees on the face of comb or out foraging. Others may have a tendency to run around the hive - not a nice trait!

I just wondered why you think it is not good to have them running around the hive.

Running bees make inspections and queen catching more difficult. My best hives used to sit and do nothing. Much more restful to inspect and far less chance of being stung.
As I use gloves rarely and only when violently stung, I have long since become conscious that slow deliberate movements and careful actions when removing and replacing combs make beekeeping far easier on both bees and beekeeper.

In addition, nasty bees tend to run .. and they find my hands super-attractive - must be the scent and the body hair. I can walk near a nasty hive and attract stings on my ungloved hands like there is no tomorrow. It's a joke at our Association apiary:)

(despite liberal use of Olbas oil)

Last edited:
I just wondered why you think it is not good to have them running around the hive.

Because calm bees make for better inspections. 'Runners' are not focussed on the comb, where we would like them to work. They appear to be without purpose, migrating outwards, over and off the comb, getting all over fingers where there is greater danger of crushing.

I have one hive at the moment that seems to run around more than the others, but doesn't cause me any specific problems, other than tickling the palms of my hand! ( my preference is also to not wear gloves) - maybe it is just a matter of scale, and they are not really 'runners' - just the least calm in what is generally an apiary of very calm bees!

Latest posts

Back