New techno thread

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
to all who participated in the last one sorry , but i have started again.
this time i will be more specific with the system requirements, the bee shed needs a security system and the chickens.

so we will want a system that will either send a message or contact me when it happens and video camera to record said crime, so using an ordinary burglar alarm, wired up to a car battery we connect all the bee hives up using door contact sensors so when tripped the alarm will trigger the out put for the alarm box, why can we not take that output and use it to power a relay we can then switch on when tripped a light , outside alarm box, sirens,

well is it possible?

the second part is a silent alrm system, again we start with an old alarm system and when it is tripped how about it switches on not a bell box but a camera system, we could have a beam detector set up to surround the bee shed chicken pen,

and lastly back to the internet ipcameras
cost adverstion's

i can have fitted to the bee shed a telephone line from bt ( even they where shocked when i asked but yes they would) for £112 plus a monthly standing charge of £12 this will give me a internet connection

what is the proberble costs of using a mobile phone or dongle set up to a lap top/desk top computer

Pete as you and your bee shed are now universally famous you may need to discuss your anti theft measures off the forum. Not having a go mate but best kept secret what system you are going to use. We have been having thefts from our club apiary. I hate to say it but it can only be someone that has attended the sessions there.

You can use one of those sensors for outdoor lights to switch lights/cameras on when motion is detected.

Pete, if you've got a phone line in the bee shed everything becomes possible, but an internet connection is an additional cost on top of your £12 per month. It could be an additional £10 or £20 per month.

Maybe Virgin would put a cable service in which is cheaper and faster.

Either way to minimize costs you would probably need to go for a package deal, so be very picky.

Regarding mobile internet, most of them charge about £15 per month but limit your data usage to 5gb per month or so, which isn't very much, and the charges are often punitive if you accidentally exceed your quota.

I purchased 12gb in one block from "3" which lasts for 12 months or until exhausted, and cost £100. Thats about enough for 10 feature films. (but I don't use it for video, just email and web browsing when traveling).

JC.

Last edited:
i can get a dongle for £15 for 3gb or £10 for one gb, the idea is to set it up at the bee shed and iron out the faults and then its to be sent off to deepest darkest shropeshire to a field site we are looking at, the lot car battery and computer and dongle and solar panel are to fitted to inside a box to be hiden around 500metres from the bee hives for security and then to have several wire free cctv cameras added to the system.

as for the route of using other peoples internet routers we have had my sons techie from school come to the bee shed with a lap top and some naughty soft ware, i have the choice of 35 routers to hack into there are more but he only hacked the easy ones

other routes iam looking into are cb radios are now liecence free and very cheap
domestic hand held walkie talkies will also cover the 1 mile distance,
so there are starting to be many other choices avalible

Latest posts

Back