New suit recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting out and like the Sherif suits but they are so darn dear, any other cheaper suits around that could fit the bill without costing the earth? I'm going to keep one hive only, anyone able to help..where should I go?
Cheers Brian H

BB Wear same quality as sheriff but £30 cheeper and a free pair of gloves worth £10

Bear in mind that Sheriff should last you ten years from what many have said, then calculate the yearly cost. Makes my £45 'bargain' from e**y that fell apart after a few washes a very expensive option. Have Sheriff suit on the way - and they do short and tall versions for us odd-shaped persons.

I prefer Sherriff - cooler material than BBwear and veil easier to see through when you have tinted glasses...

Ours are fragile planet and the veil plastic is beginning to split already. Pity we gave the money to someone and they supplied us.....in hindsight we should have bought our own :/

We've not even been running a year :(

I have a BB Wear which washes brilliantly and is really good quality. I also have an ebay buy, which was half the price, for 'helpers'. But it shows that it was half the price, the fit was rubbish and I had to shorten the legs by a foot, the fabric is heavy, the fastenings have a potential to let in bees. Ok for occasional on lookers but I'd definitely buy another BB Wear, makes me feel soooo secure, bit like a security blanket!

In my newbie opinion, most beekeepers overdress, are dressed to withstand WW3, hence can tolerate (note: CAN not do) wayward bees, use marigolds or worse and have zero feel.. and look like overstuffed spacemen/women. No elegance and certainly no deftness of touch. Squash a bee? Where? Never felt a thing.

Jacket top and veil. Latex gloves. marigolds for nasties (with latex as well). Tight fitting wellies and loose trousers tucked into wellies.

Anything that gets through that in numbers requires burning or requeening.

In good weather you should be able to keep in bare hands...

What do the bee inspectors wear then?

I expect that would be a good indication of what is required to do the job efficiently and safely ;)

I bought a Sherriff smock 23 years ago and it's still bee-proof, although I have to periodically replace the elastic.

Thank you for all your suggestions - I've decided to go with the Sherrif suit. Hopefully a long term investment! Now to get the best deal.....

Balloonies

Some suits are much more expensive than others so be careful not to be lulled into paying more than you need.
I have a "BB" polycotton smock type jacket - absolutely first class.
Don't buy, though, untill you've looked at West Country Clothing on http://www.beesuitscheap.co.uk/about.html Tracey Beany there is first class to deal with & her gear is all cotton - I bought a full suit for any visitors to put on. Good luck.

Some suits are much more expensive than others so be careful not to be lulled into paying more than you need.
I have a "BB" polycotton smock type jacket - absolutely first class.
Don't buy, though, untill you've looked at West Country Clothing on http://www.beesuitscheap.co.uk/about.html Tracey Beany there is first class to deal with & her gear is all cotton - I bought a full suit for any visitors to put on. Good luck.

I got the suit for my other half from Tracey. Very good, but they're not as cheap now.

Bee Inspector could be sponsored so would not take what they wear as best. I believe Sheriff every time.

Thank you for all your suggestions - I've decided to go with the Sherrif suit. Hopefully a long term investment! Now to get the best deal.....

Balloonies

I think you've made the right choice.
My Sheriff Apiarist offers good protection but is light and comfortable.

Beedons,
Interesting comments as I am very interested in West Country suits as they do a very wide range of sizes (My father-in-law will benefit when with us) and seem to be reasonably priced.
Do they not shrink if they are 100% cotton?
All the best,
Sam

I had one made from BBwear, superb suit with v. good customer service and quick delivery.

Mmmm....

It all depends on your age. There is no doubt a phenomena occurs at middle age where everything one buys shrinks around the waist :)

Latest posts

Back