Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

subbuteo 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am starting again with new equipment so need to buy a new smoker. I was fairly happy with my Thorne Etna type, now in the care of my brother who is taking over all my current gear and hives.

So is there anything better out there? Any particularly good quality suppliers? Maisemore seem to have different models, and I've been looking at Rauchboy.

Any suggestions?

Onge 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
9 Medium Poly, mostly foundation-less. Some run as Warre TBH
Ive been looking for the large size Rauchboy so if you find a supplier let us know.

Thanks

Ando 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Whilst on the beginners course this year, the Local bee insp (now National) recommended a Dadant smoker saying they were the best in his opinion. Looked good and big as well, you can tell them by the big D in the bellow part of the smoker.

HTH

Mark.

marklaverda 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Why is a big smoker such an advantage? I use a tiny (30year old??) smoker and have never used more than a sniff of smoke on all my bees.This has always worked for me, and I am interested to hear why a large smoker is better.

FROGDOGDIVER 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I am starting again with new equipment so need to buy a new smoker. I was fairly happy with my Thorne Etna type, now in the care of my brother who is taking over all my current gear and hives.

So is there anything better out there? Any particularly good quality suppliers? Maisemore seem to have different models, and I've been looking at Rauchboy.

Any suggestions?

Here is a link I found for the RauchBoy. http://www.rauchboy.de.vu/ prices seem quite reasonable.

Ps: is there any truth in you heading off to Hong Kong to live??

SteveH 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Why is a big smoker such an advantage?
I suppose the theory being a bigger smoke will hold more and therefore burn longer.

I got an old but large second hand smoke and it burns really slowly and produces just the right amount of cool smoke. Compared to this, a newer but smaller smoker I picked up at the Spring Convention just burns away like nobodies business, smoking me out as well as the bees, and often needs one or more refills.

Latest posts