New Smoker Concept

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgrieve91

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

Some of you may remember me quizzing you about how you kept your bee smokers? Well here is the result of months of hard work and lots of input from people like yourselves.

http://leegrievedesign.com/smoka/

I understand you lot will be my toughest critics, but as long as its constructive, I can take it.

How heavy is it?
Ideal for Beehausen.

Last edited:
Well done! I remember some time ago a beek who's car caught fire due to his smoker :banghead:
This looks good for away apiaries or where that extra time to light a smoker is not available.not worthy

Nice bit of lateral there Lee - my compliments! :)

I'd call it innovation :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How water resistant is it?

(i.e. could it be used effectively in drizzle without shorting out?)

Looks very nice well done.

But I don’t want to spoil things as I have heard a rumor that a new ruling / directive only natural materials are going to be allowed in smokers and I don’t know where liquid smoke stands on that.

If this rumor is right it means even cardboard ect will not be allowed in smokers. It all comes down to what is contained within the smoke and honey production as a food product.

Like I say only a rumor but you may want to check it out as it could influence any suppliers stocking your smoker. Other than that I wish you well.

I'd call it innovation :)
VM

It's a real cool design ... the only comment that I would make is that it looks a bit on the large side to be using (looking at the photo with the Beek with it on a shoulder strap). You tend to use a traditional smoker just to get the hive open and then put it down somewhere handy for an occasional 'puff'. It it could be reduced to a size that was smaller than an average smoker ... at a similar sort of price. Onto a winner !!

Kind of worrying and I'm not sure how it could be enforced??

But I don’t want to spoil things as I have heard a rumor that a new ruling / directive only natural materials are going to be allowed in smokers and I don’t know where liquid smoke stands on that.

If this rumor is right it means even cardboard ect will not be allowed in smokers. It all comes down to what is contained within the smoke and honey production as a food product.

Like I say only a rumor but you may want to check it out as it could influence any suppliers stocking your smoker. Other than that I wish you well.

Are the rumor makers going to have teams of people to check on what we use in our smokers?

If it could be reduced to a size that was smaller than an average smoker ... at a similar sort of price. Onto a winner !!

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be fundamental reason why it couldn't be quite a bit smaller.

Do the bees react to liquid smoke in the same way?

First of all, Thanks for all the compliments.

Price- at a very rough estimate £150, so not as cheap as the old traditional smokers. The battery is the most expensive thing, with the misting technology very cheap, (its what they use in e-cigarettes)

Waterproof - its got silicone seals to prevent condensation damage.

Weight - around 1-1.5kg? depending on fuel level.

as for advertising, this isnt a real product, that smoker is made from wood, paint and student tears.

Very interesting point about the legislation, will definitely change the face of smoker usage!

and as for size, it could be slightly smaller, but theres almost a tipping point where fuel capacity is concerned.

Personally, I'd like it to be 30% smaller. even if that did mean a few more fuel stops. great feedback though!

I have heard a rumor that a new ruling / directive only natural materials are going to be allowed in smokers and I don’t know where liquid smoke stands on that.

If this rumor is right it means even cardboard ect will not be allowed in smokers.

Anyone fancy defining what constitutes a 'natural material' ?

Cardboard is made from wood pulp, which is nothing more than ground-up trees - ain't that natural enough ?

LJ

Sounds a little far fetched to me :) after all the by products of combustion are pretty nasty ,whilst the technology used in this product is a pretty innocuous substitute for cigarette smoke?
VM

Back