New Skep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one a while ago from the same chap.

What are the benefits of a skep over a cardboard box, apart from looks?

I bought one a while ago from the same chap.
What does he use to bind the straw ,only it doesn't look like quartered bramble as is used traditionally !

John Wilkinson

When i went to the local bee auction , i think those very skeps where selling at £8.00
I wish i had bought one now

What are the benefits of a skep over a cardboard box, apart from looks?
erm, It doesn't collapse when in the midst of capturing a swarm? it can take the weight of a full swarm? bees can hold onto something inside it during transport? It won't 'melt' when it gets wet?

Dont know what is used but I paid £10 when he had them on sale earlier in the year at the time he had :- a smoker, hive tool, bee brush and a frame grip for £16 I bough one of these then placed an order for 20 of them for association members.

The skep is really strong and had no complaints about the other kit either.

MrsTaff bought me a beginners kit from Vectis 18 months ago, last week the veil disintegrated in the washing machine. I contacted Vectis to find out who the manufacturer is so that I could order a new one. he replaced the hood free of charge and sent me a link to a web site that sells the mesh so that i could repair the original.

customer service from this gent is absolutely second to none :hurray:

it's nice to be able to say something nice about a supplier :D

Taff post up the link for the replacements mesh :cheers2:

Taff post up the link for the replacements mesh :cheers2:

there you go mate :)

http://www.meshuk.co.uk/

a lady in Taunton repaired mine and did an absolutely fantastic job, you'd never know it had been done, she normally does business by post if you aren't near enough to hand deliver.

PM me for more details if you want it :) (only because I dont feel comfortable putting someone elses name and phone number and stuff on a public forum )

Thank you so much for the link , i have just ordered one. Does anyone know where you can buy travel or correx boxes for a 5 frame Langstroth nuc please ? Easy Bee are out of stock until the end of June. I'm no good at DIY ! So, looking for the easy option. Thank you for your help.

I have a skip of the same style but swarms refuse to stay lost 3 using skip

Latest posts

Back