New site

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I've just got a new site 1.5 miles away from my existing one.

Last Tuesday I hived a swarm on my existing one - is it too late to move this swarm to the new site (i.e. 8 days later) without doing the 3 mile thing first?

i too have lots of places to put bees but all less than 3 miles, i would try and find somewere more than 3 miles from both sites leave them for a week and move them again if you have a beek friend more than 3 miles from you you could see if they will let you put it there for a week

Without knowing where the main forage area might be for your particular case, I would say yes, too late.

You may not have a problem, and the tricks to get the bees to reorientate to the new position may well be enough, but consider - if they were to be foraging on the same small strip 0.75 miles from each location.....

If there are still hives at the original site, any returning bees would be accepted as they are bringing forage. If not the bees would be lost if they returned to the old site.

Think A/S. After a week one moves the hatching queen box to lose the flying bees. If a similar situation, no problem; but if no alternative and the hive were moved (a bit more than the three feet rule) the bees would be lost.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back