New Setup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hello All

Not sure this is the correct forum to post this in, but cant see where else to put it.

Half way thru beginners course and registered with federation.

Planning on getting Nuc to setup hive @ my local allotment ( they say in May they will commence Pilot project with 5 hives only for first registered to show interest who have completed beginners course and are paid up members w/insurance of federation ).

Reading up also as much as possible. Lots of questions ranging from the problems of having 5 single hive independent beekepers keeping hives in the spot they have designated to the project , probably about 10 mtrs square approx. Robbing from other bees when hives open at different times ?
Also when is the best time to setup ? Is May perhaps a bit to late ?Will I have to have at least two hives ?
Any other advise fully appreciated aimed at beginner levell.

Was advised that should wait another year and buddy up with experienced beekeeper to learn the ropes, but dont want to wait another year. Have completed a practical one day introductory course last summer and opened hives so the " panic factor " wont be an issue as was comfortable with the open hive and zillions of bee's . though am under no illusions am a beginner of course and the more i get into the current course the more i realise what an intricate and fascinating hobby it is !

Again any advise related to above scenario most welcome and appreciated :thanks:

Cheers

Brian.

Last edited:
A single hive in a shared apiary isn't ideal but probably fine to get you started. Ultimately you need a bit more freedom.

Late May is a pretty good time to start with a nuc. It gives you a reasonable chance of a honey crop but a smallish chance of having to deal with a swarm in your first year.

No reason to wait a year. If you have the confidence then go for it.

I started up last year after a beginners course and practical day, I'm just about to go through the course this week for a second time. Ok I don't have answers to all your questions but I don't really see any difference to 5 different beekeepers ( as long as you all get to know each other) keeping their hives together to having 5 of your own all in the same place. I'd say go for it with as much support from your local assoc (are you a member ?) as possible and any other experieced b/keepers. It's amazinly daunting, exciting and a wonderful exp all at once. Best of luck, I've only got one coloney (hopefully they will survive the winter) but hoping to have another this summer.

Hopefully all the other beekeepers in this apiary will be trustworthy: last night I heard a story about a lady who bought 4 nucs last year. She asked someone to inspect them for her and for some reason the Queen was removed from one of them....
I heard the story second hand so I don't have any details as to why the queen was removed. I have however heard plenty of stories about people borrowing Queens from hives belonging to other people.
In terms of starting out, make sure there is sufficient space to allow all the stocks to be artificially swarmed on site and to give a number of beekeepers room to work without having to step around each other. I would suggest that you all agree as to how and when you will be treating your stocks for varroa and make sure to coordinate the treatments.

Opps never thought about the treatments

I'm just into my 2nd year (did the course last May) so no expert, but the main problems I can think of as far as 5 individual owners like you describe is if you need do "borrow" anything from another hive for yours i.e. One way to check if you have a queenless hive is to put a frame of eggs from another hive into yours and if queenless, they will build Q cells. Only having one hive doesnt allow this (easily anyway). No probs if you get on with the other beeks but not if you dont.

Also, you are at the mercy of other beeks as far as deseases go. You might have 4 beeks who are great and look after their bees to the best of their capabilities, but if you have one who sets up the hive and then never again looks in it, this might cause issues.

Ideally, you could do with two hives of your own. It might be worth getting the Allotment committee to agree to two or three beeks with two hives each?

Last edited:
Ideally you need to consider a co-ordinated approach. For example try and agree a common weekly inspection time. That way you can start to help each other especially if some of the others are also novices. Whilst there may be room for 5 hives you will undoubtedly have to perform some form of swarm control and it's likely that hive numbers may double at some stage. Whilst this may be temporary it needs managed and communicated to the allotment committee.

Andy

Lots of good advice above.
Note especially that additional kit is almost certain to be needed to deal with prospective swarms.

Robbing. Use reduced entrances all the time. OK there may be brief periods when the traffic is too heavy, but generally the opening in a bought-in entrance block/reducer is a very nice size for most of the time.
The only time robbing is highly likely to be a problem is when feeding the bees with sugar (syrup or fondant). They can't communicate "its upstairs" - simply that "its nearby" --- which causes a bit of detailed checking of the immediate neighbourhood around their hive, until they have worked out where the good stuff is located.

Allotment site - consider some form of screening to drive the bees quickly above head height. They fly fast and as directly as possible -- and without looking where they are going! This sometimes causes problems on allotments...

I am the only beekeeper on our allotment plot. Consider signage " bees flying, possibility you might be stung, do not approach hives" or something to that effect - you might get members of public on the site. Have a phone number on display so someone can be called if there are problems.

Best to have an alternative site in reserve in case of problems.
Go for it and enjoy!

Thanks very much for the great replies and information !

very much looking forward to the whole experience ! The general consensus is that during the first year that a second nuc setup would be required to deal with swarms and to split the colony ?

Ideally I should aim to go into next winter with the established new colony and a newly started colony ?

great advice re the signage, screening etc.

Much appreciated and any more general or allotment specific advice welcomed !

Brian.

This is the sign i have just made for my new out apiary if anyone wants to use it they are more than welcome, you can convert pdf on the internet lots of free services to do it.

Back