New recruit from South Africa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael ECB's

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Not Enough yet.
Hello all, Michael here from a sunny but cold Eastern Cape – South Africa. And unfortunately no, I more than likely do not know a chap by the name of Roger living in Kenya or Tanzania... Even though he is 6,4, has a big beard and talks kinda funny...?? Sorry....

I'm fairly new to this Bee Keeping thing but having a lot of fun. Also blessed to have an excellent mentor that has been involved with Bee's since just after the Arc beached on that big mountain up north. Building “some” of my own equipment (Yes! Very mindful of bee spacing!) built my own bee vac that is most definitely the best thing since sliced bread...

Dont like long walks on the beach, Blondes are Ok though, cant stand love stories or dragged out dramas on Tv, I believe health food truly makes me ill, much prefer undercooked red meat with Beer or Brandy & Coke.
Star sign – whichever one reads youre going to have a wickedly awesome week...
Very happily married with two awesome “young adult” kids, live on a farm with a couple of dogs, one being a very moody “Rottwieler” that looks after our security concerns - our “ Armed to the teeth” German response team.

Other than that – really looking forward to seeing how the other half do things. I'm always keen on learning, adapting and trying new things... Not doing this for the Honey or the Money – Just having fun and increasing bee numbers locally..
But hey, if it turns a profit in years to come, I'm good with that and will learn to live with it..

Hello Michael, where exactly are you on the cape? it's a big place you know! have family dotted around South Africa but am more familiar with Lesotho as I did a beekeeping project there in the Leribe district a few years ago and also did some investigative work in the Quiteng gorge.
I heard it's been a bit cold out there, some places in lesotho have heavy snow at the moment.

Howsit Michael? I lived in Johannesburg for a while 1970/71. Visited Cape Town, Pietermaritzburg, and Pretoria a couple of times but I hadn't taken up beekeeping in those days. Things I recall most are very low cost meat from the office buying club, Boerwors, Lion Ale and Castle Lager. Drive in cinemas as there wasn't a TV service in those days. Also driving between Johannesburg and Pietermaritzburg on the long straight road with only guessing the distance to the next termite mound and seeing the occasional secretary bird striding along the roadside to pass the time. Beach buggies were extremely popular in Johannesburg despite being far from a beach.
I met some good friends out there but over the years since I've lost them.
Totsiens

I'm in the Queenstown district... Closest snow about 50km's away as the crow flies... Not to far from Lesotho - The mountain Kingdom... We are much drier here in the QTN district, not much rain at all... Landscape shows it.... Hoping for early rains this year, get all the "Girls" excited about getting back to work...

As far as meat goes,,, prices have gone up a bit since the 70's as im sure everywhere else.. But told in comparison to the world, we are still dirt cheap and in my humble opinion, we have the best meat in the world----- that is if you know what to look for in a piece of red meat any way.
Pull it's horns off, wipe it's bum and throw it on the Braai...

Totsiens - Laat dit goed gaan John

Latest posts

Back