New Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoop

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
poly hives
A newly mated queen started laying on 17 July . On todays inspection 30 July , I found a queen cell sealed & some of the cells had 2 eggs in them

Any ideas ?

The QC could be an old one resealed perhaps with an entombed worker bee? If the eggs are close to the bottom of the cells it could be a queen just getting her act together. Near the top of the cells is a sign of laying workers but takes maybe 5-6 weeks of queenlessness first.

I think ;)

Could be a SS cell

This would worry me too, but I've been told that new queens often lay a bit erratically (one of mine was laying on top of pollen as well as in queen cups)... but sort themselves out. An egg in a queen cup, especially with a newly mated queen, is not time to worry.... but a larva.....well we have a problem.

I'd check in a few days. I would put my money on there being no problem then. If you don't see larvae in queen cups snuggled up in white goo, your queen is fine.

The queen cell may not be a genuine one, as has alraedy been pointed out. Or it may be supersedure.

I would leave alone.

Latest posts

Back