New Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flimbin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I lost a swarm from a colony last week. I tore down all but one queen cell, so there should be a new queen emerging about now. I know I should check if she is laying in 3 weeks or so, but what do I do if there are no eggs then?
Is it possible to over winter with a virgin queen?
When you buy a queen from say Thornes, is it a mated queen? Should I do this?

i was in the same situation, and i would think it is unlikely that she will mate successfully. I have brought a queen from thornes and it came today, i'll let you know how i get on.

Could you not buy a queen and split the hive so half is queen right and half with the unhatched queen, it at least gives the option of uniting later on. Or you could just buy a queen and requeen your colony.

Either way you will need to buy a queen PDQ to get her in a position to overwinter, Thornes only send queens on a thursday when their supplyer can provide them.

Cheers James

Hi,
It might be worth having a word with Kemble Bee Supplies ( choice of queens if he still has some £25.00) I have had two from him this year - both successful, quick delivery.

www.kemble-bees.com

Mark

Hi Flimbin,
I will have some more queens for sale hopefully within the next couple of weeks and will post accordingly when they are ready. I am also doing a further grafting next weekend so should have a further batch after that probably about the time if your queen is unsuccessful in mating.
If you require further details PM me. These queens are not imported queens and raised from my own stock.

Wonderful,

Thanks all. I think I understand the situation a lot better now. Thanks gandalfwhitewizard. I'll get in touch.

When you buy a queen from say Thornes, is it a mated queen? Should I do this?

If you do, don´t forget the pictures for the adult section. :cheers2:

Tongue in cheek of course, keep your clothes on. :) :)

I have brought a queen from thornes and it came today, i'll let you know how i get on.
Cheers James

Thorne's Queen.............

bowing-036.gif

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back